I Depend On Them All

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: I Depend On Them All
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #0
There is no way (save cheating) anyone could defeat Avernum 3 without a mage and a priest, and a strong fighter is pretty much a given. The choice of your fourth character is optional, but an archer is pretty necessary too, because there have been many times when I've really depended on my archer.

On the one hand, it's sort of limiting; choosing to make an all-sorcerer, all-archer or all-fighter party would be certain death. An all warrior-priest party might be able to hack it, granted, but it wouldn't be a sure thing.

On the other hand, it's nice to see the characters' co-dependence. My archer is my least-necessary character, but he is still very useful, with high Nature Lore and passable defensive and melee skills.

Has anyone else had any luck with a non-standard party?

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #1
Somebody (Drakey?) had beaten E3 with a no-magic singleton, so you don't really need all 4 characters. :)

As for specifics, when you visit the Anama, you'll see that Jeff intended the game to be winnable with no mages in your party. Removing priests as well would make things harder, but still doable if you rely on a lot of potions and scrolls. Most typical singleton is a fighter/magic user combo. Since I haven't done any of these crazy variants myself, that's about as much detail as I can give you.

EDIT: Since most magic effects can be obtained from scrolls and potions and since blessed and hasted warrior is one of the most efficient ways to kill anything, a no-magic party isn't as impossible as it sounds.

[ Thursday, April 06, 2006 19:09: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #2
what party do you use?
Good Avernum 3 party?
Your adventurers group
What is your ideal starting party
The Abominable Party-Building Topic

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Warrior
Member # 6485
Profile #3
quote:
There is no way (save cheating) anyone could defeat Avernum 3 without a mage and a priest,
Well it is possable
-
-
-
-
With charecter editer

PS Old Scratch you never answered my questoin: are you from the ambrosia boards?

--------------------
I love Spiderweb Software!!
Who doesn't?
My hints on making a new party.
USE CHARECTER EDITER!!
----------------------------------
10 million Cave giant chiefs +
1 million drake lords ageinst me =

easy
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by IT .:

PS Old Scratch you never answered my questoin: are you from the ambrosia boards?
Yes, I am also registered on the Ambrosia Software boards. I very much enjoy Escape Velocity: Nova; I think it could benefit from a few changes and improvements, but overall it's a wonderful game. The various add-ons and Total Conversion plug-ins don't hurt the enjoyment factor, either (although really there are only Polycon and the ports of the previous two Escape Velocities at the moment). Hopefully, some of the TCs that have been in the works for a while will be coming out soon.

[ Friday, April 07, 2006 17:51: Message edited by: Old Scratch ]

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.