Pit of the Wyrm (A3)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Pit of the Wyrm (A3)
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #0
Okay, so I purchased the directions to the Pit of the Wyrm for 1,000 coins -- chump change. Eventually, I found the Pit, and have been waging a very long campaign, fighting my way through Augmented Giants and Abyssal Slimes to get to the lower level of the Pit, and then subsequently using insane hit-and-run tactics involving (alternately) hordes of summoned creatures to fight the Dark Wyrms and careful planning to fight the numerous Abyssal Slimes.

After much effort, I've come to a bend containing four Unholy Wyrms. I attempted to launch some sort of an assault, and was thwarted by their insane breath weapons, which do 115+ acid damage per shot; they get two shots per turn to boot, so that's quite a lot.

I says to myself, "Self, you're taking acid damage. You already have a couple of Firewalker Rings, so just buy a Basic Charm, slap it on your fighter, and send him over there with the Wyrmslayer and many enchantments to deal out some death."

I bought the Basic Charm, which cranked Algernon's (my fighter) Acid Resistance up to 90%. That means I should be taking far less damage from their acid breath weapons, right? WRONG. When I put my plan into motion, the damage was the same as before.

So now, I have four level 40 characters with great equipment, but unfortunately no way to protect them from a seemingly unbeatable breath weapon. I can't even summon creatures fast enough to prevent instant death.

My first question is, why doesn't Acid Resistance protect against acid damage? It doesn't, and that's incredibly stupid. And my second question: I'm going to have to burn up some invulnerability potions, aren't I? Because no amount of leveling up (and I don't have too far to go, really) will protect me from those breath weapons.

[ Thursday, April 06, 2006 17:58: Message edited by: Old Scratch ]

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #1
The acid protection or lack thereof thing is weird. I'm afraid that I can't remember having any particular trouble with this fight myself. Is Arcane Shield any help to you? It might help you to not die as quickly. Sanctuary might come in handy too, so that they shouldn't be able to attack you until you hit them.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #2
I think the Wyms breathe darkness (magic). I remember that they use the acid damage sound and graphic, but I don't think they actually give the acid-coated status effect. They give enfeebling instead, right?

I suggest invulnerability if the fight is troubling you, but that doesn't necessarily mean Invulnerability Potions (read as: what Neimand said).

[ Thursday, April 06, 2006 18:15: Message edited by: St. Ashby the Martyr ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

The acid protection or lack thereof thing is weird. I'm afraid that I can't remember having any particular trouble with this fight myself. Is Arcane Shield any help to you? It might help you to not die as quickly. Sanctuary might come in handy too, so that they shouldn't be able to attack you until you hit them.
You didn't have any trouble with that fight? Wowzers . . . they overpower me in the same fashion that I overpower Ursagi: instantly and with extreme prejudice. I haven't tried Arcane Shield yet, but I will. Also, I don't think there's a Sanctuary spell in A3, because I know all forty spells already at level 2, or in some cases higher.

If Arcane Shield doesn't protect me from their breath weapons, nothing else I know of will. I suspect the Acid Resistance only applies to the status effect (the kind you get from slugs and Fetid Zombies and damages you each round), not pure acid damage . . . which is pretty stupid, since Fire Resistance protects against very similar breath weapons.

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by St. Ashby the Martyr:

I think the Wyms breathe darkness (magic). I remember that they use the acid damage sound and graphic, but I don't think they actually give the acid-coated status effect. They give enfeebling instead, right?

I suggest invulnerability if the fight is troubling you, but that doesn't necessarily mean Invulnerability Potions (read as: what Neimand said).

Yeah, I did read that "Unholy Wyrm breathes darkness" during the fight. However, the text always says tht the damage comes from acid . . . I suppose using an acid graphic requires that message text to appear, which is what confused me. I don't think Magic Resistance helps, either, since Firewalker Rings give you that too.

I'm no slacker when it comes to tactics, either. The second most difficult fight I've run into was that town full of Rakshasas (nine or ten of them, at any rate), and I only had to reload a few times before defeating them. These critters are insanely more difficult.

If nothing else works, I suppose I'll try the Invulnerability Potions.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #5
Happily, I seem to be having better luck with the Unholy Wyrms this time around. By casting a couple of Arcane Shields and . . . er, that protective priest spell (I use it so often I forget what it's called), along with Haste and War Blessing, I can pull the Unholy Wyrms one at a time and dispatch them with my fighter. A little backup from the archer and the mage (at a safe distance), not to mention constant healing from the priest, also helps a great deal.

It may have been using Arcane Shield which tipped the scales in my favor; I was going to try that anyway, but thanks for suggesting it. I had been shying away from using it in the Pit because it damages enemies, which can cause a lot of Abyssal Slimes to spawn very quickly.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6632
Profile #6
As you noticed, the breath of unholy wyrms isn't affected by resistances. You cant dodge it either. Best tactic is to melee them, their melee attacks aren't nearly as bad.