If Avernum were real...

Error message

• Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: If Avernum were real...
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #0
This is entirely idle curiosity. I can envison how most of the spells in Avernum would work in the real world, but how exactly would Far Sight work? I mean, it's not like people have an automap in real life.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
They may not have an automapper, but there's every reason to assume that the player characters make maps as they travel. Presumably, on casting Far Sight, the mage gets a vision of the surrounding area for long enough to sketch it on the map before it fades away.

[ Sunday, December 04, 2005 22:10: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 6333
Profile #2
Ssssssss But that makessss little sense, assss far sight, in no matter what level, revealsss the surroundingss permanently. But I still disagree with Tyranicus (sssorry) because I think casting far sight addssss more area to the memory of our adventurersss. (I think Auto-map indicatesss the memory of the adventurers.)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
I don't buy the argument that the automap indicates what the party can remember -- there's no way they could recall the exact geography of every place they ever visited without actually making a physical map. Therefore, it's most reasonable to assume that the party actually makes a physical map of the places they visit, even though it's not explicitly treated as an inventory item.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6333
Profile #4
No, I just wanted to bring out the point that it is also nearly impossible for adventurers to make maps of each and every outdoor section and town they visit and keep them. Afterall, many of us in real life may not find it supernatural to remember the way to a place in our town even if we've just been to it only once. :P

[ Monday, December 05, 2005 03:52: Message edited by: Naga ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
It isn't necessarily unreasonable to carry around a bunch of maps. A few dozen sheets of paper wouldn't take up all that much space in a backpack.

Admittedly, it does stretch credibility that the party can make maps equally well whether taking a leisurely stroll about town or fleeing for their lives from bloodthirsty monsters. Oh well.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6111
Profile #6
but avernum is not based on real world anyways,its fantasy world,so anything is possible,maybe far sight lets mages spirit fly out of his body so he can scout area?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
I've always liked the automap in the unremarkable game Dungeon Master 2. It's a literal, physical map enchanted to record everywhere the adventurers have been, but it will only show a certain area in the vicinity of the party when it's viewed. Just like Avernum's automap!

So there you go. Farsight makes this magical map behave as though you'd viewed somewhere you hadn't actually been.

—Alorael, who would like to know if blessing and hasting before a sporting event is considered illegal use of magical substances and if there is a test for it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #8
I always find these kinds of debates amusing, trying to infratextually reconcile the game's interface with the game world.

It's like those people who try to explain, within the story, why the first Doctor looks so different in The Five Doctors than he did in The Dalek Invasion of Earth.

[ Monday, December 05, 2005 10:56: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
Or what the heck happened to the Klingons between Star Trek's original TV series and everything ever after that.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #10
Exactly.