In A4 i think that you should be able to murder

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: In A4 i think that you should be able to murder
Warrior
Member # 6395
Profile Homepage #0
I mean seriously, you can walk into a room and close the door to steal stuff, why not the same with murdering, except you gotta have high theifing or murdering skill, something that they should put in, to hide the body. It kinda sucks that you can't... Unless its an important person like Amaxander (A3) or a quest person.

--------------------
Bandit: Hey Bob, why aren't we running after them?

Archer Bob: Cuz if dose n00bz run dey got no gud ****.

Bandit:oh

Bob: And that isn't a cave, its a dragon...
Warrior
Member # 6395
Profile Homepage #1
Pickpocketing would be good too, but that make it way to much like Splinter Cell and Runescape

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #2
I sort of agree with you... having a real use for Tool Use would be great. I mean, really, what is it good for OTHER than avoiding the damage from traps? Nothing. Open Doors is better than Tool Use at opening roughly 99.95% of the doors in the game.

I think Pickpocketing would be great. Your Skill vs. the NPC's Level (or equivalent)... failure means the town hates you (like Stealing), success nets you some Coins and maybe some sellable loot of minor value (or great value, depending on the NPC, imagine what would be in X's pockets, for instance...)

--------------------
Your training was extensive...
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro
Warrior
Member # 6395
Profile Homepage #3
i think if your guy gets caught pickpocketing, you end up having to fight a bunch of things in a pit... if you live, your free...

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
Since your party is capable of killing anything and everything, that's just an incentive to steal and get free experience in the bargain.

—Alorael, who happens to like Avernum's theft system. It's easy to understand, logical, clear-cut, and doesn't require careful character focus. The consequences are (usually) meaningful. It could be a lot worse.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6395
Profile Homepage #5
I mean... Avernum is getting more and more like real life (except it laags***EDIT: SOMETIMES*** and you can save and go to the Character Editor to give you characters the best items in the game [if you know the number *hint Xian items are in the 400's*]) why not let people murder.

If you REALLY wanna get detailed, you can think of carrying the victim's body and dumping them somewhere (Ouu Krizan would just be SO GOOD for thing *talkin bout the secret passage near the inn*) but if someone sees you carrying the body, you can try and lie your way out saying your a mortitian/kill em/ use some dumbfound or confuse spell on em.

Ne1 else agrees?

[ Monday, October 17, 2005 16:52: Message edited by: Foley's Body ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
You want either superior AI, an abusable game subsystem, or a game with a human on the other end. Jeff is creating none of the above.

—Alorael, who is not a fan of extensive, detailed, and ultimately unnecessary subsystems. He also doesn't like the Sims. Quite frankly, if he wanted to deal with real life and all the detalis therein, he wouldn't be playing a computer game.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #7
I think: What's the point of changing the theft system or allowing murdering?

Regardless of how draconian the theft system is, players will work out bugs in the implementation to steal things without consequences anyway. Callous adventurers will also kill anyone they can. It's just not real life and never will be.

A case in point is the game Cythera. In that game taking something that was 'not yours' caused problems regardless of whether anyone could see you or not. People worked out that if you moved the item before taking it you could steal with impunity - and the status quo was restored.

In the end, people who care, won't steal or murder and will put other self-imposed limits on their playing; and people who don't care, will steal and use any and all cheats they can lay their hands on.

The current system works fine - those who like stealing from destitute farmhands or murdering them can do so and those who don't, don't. Neither is especially inconvenienced by the game mechanics and can play the game the way they like. The net result is more fun for more people.

[ Monday, October 17, 2005 17:45: Message edited by: Skippy the bush kangaroo ]
Warrior
Member # 5274
Profile #8
quote:
A case in point is the game Cythera. In that game taking something that was 'not yours' caused problems regardless of whether anyone could see you or not. People worked out that if you moved the item before taking it you could steal with impunity - and the status quo was restored.

Ha I used to love that particular little bug. Great game as well.

--------------------
I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me
Warrior
Member # 6368
Profile Homepage #9
i like the murder idea, heh and yeah it would kinda make it like runescape with pickpocketing :rolleyes:
but who cares,hm? make the game better and im happy :D

--------------------
MMORPG developed by jagex ltd. Join RuneScape.com today!

hawk kings editor edited by me for geneforge 2
http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=000906#00 0000
Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #10
Alorael has a point, murdering people and hiding their bodies Solid Snake-style wouldn't add much to the game. I still think Pickpocketing could be fun and/or interesting if done properly.

I mean, stealing stuff from their pockets is no worse than closing a door in order to steal stuff from behind their back.

On a completely unrelated note, when you guys brought up unscrupulous Adventurers, I was suddenly tempted to take my Level 49 end-game party in A3, port back to Fort Emergence, and systematically kill every living being on the continent of Valorim. Just because, at this point, I probably could. They could possibly even rampage through Blackcrag and assassinate the Empress, in the grand Avernite Adventurer Tradition.

Hmm. I may seriously have to try that, it sounds fun and challenging. Make a save game file titled something like "They finally snapped from the strain of having 30 unfinished quests scattered across the entire continent.sav"

Edit: clarification, typos

[ Tuesday, October 18, 2005 13:12: Message edited by: Marak ]

--------------------
Your training was extensive...
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro
Warrior
Member # 6395
Profile Homepage #11
Oh yay! I'm a motivational speaker... the bad kind though. I'm like that little voice inside of your head that tells you to kill people :D

NOte: Completely Topic Related... in its own creepy way

Also, there are serveral ways to steal stuff out of the crates near the storage room... just... simply, move the freakin crates... *A hint to all noobs*

[ Tuesday, October 18, 2005 13:31: Message edited by: Foley's Body ]

--------------------