Prophetic Names for NPCs

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Prophetic Names for NPCs
Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #0
*Rant Mode: On* I just love how characters in Video Games, Movies, Books, etc. will often have names that give hints as to who they are or what they do. Because, you know, Mom and Dad would be looking at their newborn baby, and one would say to the other, "You know dear, he looks like he'll be a Necromancer some day. Let's name him Necaros!"

Or maybe, "He seems like a loner, honey. I think we should call him Purgatos!" *Rant Mode: Off*

Yeah, not trying to make fun of anyone (like Jeff or J.K. Rowling), but I find it somewhat humorous when characters have names that describe them in adulthood. Especially when said name is their real, honest, legal, given name and not some kind of taken-for-granted nickname.

Any other ironic, too-true names you've seen in Avernum you want to share? I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch of them.

Edit: And how about the Island of Bigail? With the roaches all over it, spreading filth and disease, anyone living there experiences a Big Ailment! Ba bum Ksh!

[ Sunday, October 16, 2005 08:36: Message edited by: Marak ]

--------------------
Your training was extensive...
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Sometimes this happens to real people, too.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #2
Nominative determinism. Nice. I still say authors have a tendancy to do this (whether on purpose or not), whereas in real life it's normally more coincidence than anything.

--------------------
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
I think that Storm Field is the best name ever for a weatherman.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Trademark
Member # 6397
Profile #4
Consider it one of the less ostentatious ramifications of psychological realism?
Unless you're referring to the sort of medeival Aristotlean epic which would name characters "All Men" or "Supervaccuo", in which you could consider it one of the more ostentatious ramifications of putting a pen to paper.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
some people are actually called "Endavour" or "bravery."

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
My father alleges that he had a classmate by the name of Tripp Lurch. He never did make it as a long-distance runner.

—Alorael, who is reasonably certain that nobody has ever been named "Endavour." Endeavour, perhaps?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #7
The fact that there are necromancers named Necros is a theatrical effect. In games where the backstory of these characters is not inspected with great detail, I'm leaning towards the idea that rather than being the effect of nominative determinism, it is in fact the choice on the author's part to give them a relevant name. For example:

Dialog 1 (Casually named necromancer): "Bob has lived on Cemetery Hill ever since his wife died."

Dialog 2 (Theatrically named): "Necros has lived on Cemetery Hill ever since his wife died."

See how "Bob" is quite disruptive to the building of suspense, while "Necros" makes it quite clear what's going to happen?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #8
An excellent point, Knot. I admit I handn't thought of it that way. Thanks for the insight.

--------------------
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro