Avernum V.S. Exile?? fill me in...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum V.S. Exile?? fill me in...
Apprentice
Member # 5519
Profile #0
I used to play the exile trilogy a ton (especially Exile 3) when they were new, and I recently remembered the game and came back to this site to see if I could re-download exile 3 for kicks, and noticed this new series Avernum that sounds pretty much like Exile but with many of the names changed and updated graphics.

I loved Exile 3 because it is such an expansive RPG. Is Avernum 3 a total remake of Exile 3? The description I read doesn't even mention exile, but it looks pretty much identical.

Any thoughts on how it is the same? how it is better?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
The Avernum Trilogy is a re-write of the Exile Trilogy. Some details are here. More details (by extension) here.

[ Saturday, February 19, 2005 14:00: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
As for thoughts on whether Avernum is better than Exile or not, opinions are varied. Avernum 1 is pretty much universally considered better than Exile 1, but Exiles 2 and especially 3 have their supporters over Avernums 2 and 3. The Avernums have some polish, especially in the skills, but the smaller parties, fewer spells, and generally easier combat make them less appealing.

Basically, you should download the demos of Avernums and Exiles and decide for yourself which you like best. The only major plot difference is the added town of Lost Bahssikava in Avernum 1.

—Alorael, who is an Avernum fan more than an Exile fan. This proves that he is not a real oldbie, as all real oldbies prefer Exile.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #3
I love Exile 3 it was the first Spidweb game I actually bought. But personally A3 was better the graphics make the game so much more playable. But as for new features well E3 and A3 are nearly identical when you come right down to it. Lets hope A4 is just as big as E3 was and equally enjoyable perhaps generating a whole new fan base aii.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 5212
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by This moniker is even better.:

[QB]
Basically, you should download the demos of Avernums and Exiles and decide for yourself which you like best. The only major plot difference is the added town of Lost Bahssikava in Avernum 1.
QB]
WHAT!!! I spent h-o-u-r-s looking for Lost B. in Exile 1! Waaahh. . .

--------------------
The whole purpose of your life Might just be to serve as a warning to others.
Build a man a Fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on Fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
[b]Meow! Subvert the dominant Paradigm! Meow! Meow![b] Wizard's Cat in A2
Shock Trooper
Member # 60
Profile #5
But from A2 to A3, the damage thing for strength/skill/weapon thing was rewritten (x-X per level of STR+skill). This created some really powerful hits...

Anyway, personally, I prefer Exile 2 and 3. I randomness of the game is what I like.

--------------------
"Insanity is okay, but stupidity is inexcusable." -Kenda Nicole Brand

Jacob say, "Man who smoke pot, choke on handle." -Jacob Doran
Warrior
Member # 3667
Profile #6
ok, things are simply cosmetic in change (ie 3D, a few skill changes, but the storyline of both are more or less unmodified.

--------------------
plz feel free to email me answers at stargazer_do@hotmail.com
Apprentice
Member # 5627
Profile #7
quote:
Is Avernum 3 a total remake of Exile 3? The description I read doesn't even mention exile, but it looks pretty much identical.

Avernum is the new name for Exile. Avernum being the realm of the dead in somewhere's mythology (ancient Greek?) as far as I can remember.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Lake Avernus. Portal to the land of the dead. Roman mythology. Aeneid in particular, Book 6.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00