When to take potions...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: When to take potions...
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #0
I'm a fairly green newbie in A3 (registered), but have acquired a collection of potions.

Healing and Curing are pretty self-explanatory, but when should my party use e.g. Strength and Invulnerability potions? In combat? Just before? How long do they last?

--------------------
"Keep both hands where I can see them"
Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #1
Whew... loaded question. In combat, such potions typically last for about 5-7 rounds on average. Outside of combat, every "step" seems to count for the same amount of time as a round of combat.

Thus, you should either drink them IN combat (preferably in the first couple of rounds). If you're going to drink them out of combat, you should only quaff one or two, and them immediately iniatiate combat.

The moral of the story is that if you drink potions outside of combat and then cast spells, wait, move, etc. before iniating combat, your potions' effects are going to wear off VERY quickly.

--------------------
Your training was extensive...
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
In general, I've found that all the potions except healing and energy are of limited utility. You can get the same effects from spells, and often better. While I occasionally use potions I find, the only ones I ever carry around just in case are for invulnerability. You never know when you'll run into something that just does too much damage.

—Alorael, who acknowledges that this isn't exactly the question asked. To finish, most potions are useless, and potions that give invulnerability or Divine Might are best when used in combat after you've discovered that you need a buff very, very badly.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #3
The only potions I used were at the start of a game and they saved me tons of times. They are helpful for a short time but after I get leveled up I power up my mage and priest and go to spells.
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #4
Thank you all - most helpful

--------------------
"Keep both hands where I can see them"