Effects of time in Avernum

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Effects of time in Avernum
Apprentice
Member # 4652
Profile #0
This game looks wonderful and I would love to explore this game top to bottom. My question is while I'm searching every nook and cranny, killing every monster I come across... are events taking place that I should be around to attend or witness? Or are NPCs going to react/disappear after x amount of days or whatever?

Thanks for any help :)
Warrior
Member # 4654
Profile #1
ya cheese if u take too long doin ntin the pace of life will go on.towns can fall or come up. actually anythig can happen.like soppose u waste time doin messeg jobs.towns might be gettin destroyed by slimes(A3).an so forth.cool? :o

--------------------
life is too short to be taken seriously.hmm.but its also the longest thing a person can ever do!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Things do start to fall apart in A3 if you lag behind. The longer you wait, the more demolished Valorim gets. This never makes the game unwinnable, but it can make quests impossible to complete.

The other Avernums are less affected by time. I know there's a certain place that can only be entered on the first day of a month in one game, and there are holidays with various effects, but nothing major.

—Alorael, who prefers the A1/A2 irrelevance of time to the need for speed in A3. He hates being rushed even if it isn't much of a rush after all.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4652
Profile #3
so basically avernum 1 and 2 I can take my time, but avernum 3 has time sensitive quests? well more importantly, avernum 1 and 2 do not have these timed quests?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
As Alorael said, A1 and A2 are almost completely unaffected by time, to the best of my knowledge. Aside from the instances that Alorael cited (special effects on particular days and one minor thing), time has pretty much no effect.

EDIT: And for that matter, none of the major or even semi-major quests have much happen to them because of time in A3. The quests that change are very minor.

[ Friday, July 02, 2004 21:43: Message edited by: Imbandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4652
Profile #5
okay. thank you very much!
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #6
As I recall on day 160 (I think) in A3 the Tower of Magi is attacked by demons. Though I don't always enjoyed being rushed, for some one who wants everything done, even a minor quest is a major one. On a side note, is there a speed record for the completion of A3 without any cheating or other help?

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

"Ancient Blessings" My unfinished (and likely to remain that way) BoA scenario.