Beginner needing help in several areas in demo

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Beginner needing help in several areas in demo
Apprentice
Member # 5117
Profile #0
I'm hoping that someone can give me a hand in this game, as I've grown frustrated and am getting nowhere.

1) Are the 'school of magery papers' that the old guy in the west has for 500 gold helpful? For some reason even though I have 4000 gold, I don't get the option to buy...

2) I can't get the chief spider to give me the password or any other helpful information that I might need.

3) I can't find Erlam the musician turned bandit. I've gone over the entire scenario 3 times and have not found him....

4) How do I get the gates open in the holding cell area so I can free the dragon being held...

I would greatly appreciate anyone that can answer part or all the above. THX!
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #1
yeah you need them- you got to kill the hydras then if you cant talk him into selling the papers

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
1. Yes. You have to talk to Kevin in Marralis before you can buy the papers, though. Then ask Pangle about the curse in the valley.

2. You have to talk to some other beings and find out from them what the Chief Spider can give you that would be useful. Keep exploring the school, specifically the southern part.

3. Elram is in Vale Infestation, a hidden (I think) town just south of Marralis.

4. As far as I can tell, you don't need to open any gates in Holding Cells to free Pythras. You need to go to the east part of the level, and walk up into an elevated room. Then you use a control panel (with the information that Pythras gives you, namely that the password is "Quark."

Hopefully all this is accurate, but it's been a while. I'm basing this off the scripts and opening the game in the editor.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #3
There's also a walkthrough in the manual.

Oh, and Kelandon c'est un CHEATER! ;-þ
Apprentice
Member # 5117
Profile #4
I was hoping I had my old BOE hint book and manual, but it's been years since I've played it and I definitely couldn't remember off the top of my noggin. I will give this a try, thanks a bunch...
Apprentice
Member # 5117
Profile #5
Well, I tried talking to Kevin and he told me to mention his name to pangle, but there is no dialog options that allow me to mention kevin's name? Any further suggestions?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
You should be able to say "Kevin sent us. He thought you might be able to help us." You can only say that once. After that, ask him, "Do you know anything about the curse in the vale?" Then ask, "What about the School of Magery? Do you know anything about that?" Then, "Do you know what the papers are about?" Then, "All right. (Pay 500 coins.)"

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Apprentice
Member # 5117
Profile #7
Well, for some reason, I can't get that option. Is there any way that I can get around these papers? Any edits I can do in the demo mode?
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #8
No you can't get around those papers. You don't have to pay 500 coins either if you kill the hydras to the north.

Edit: Post number 666! Heh heh heh.

[ Sunday, October 24, 2004 15:06: Message edited by: Broken Slith ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #9
you can get around Kevin though-
If you explore the school of magery- after you free pythras you can tell him that you did that and he will get interested and tell you about the paper- I never even knew about kevin and defintly never used his name in conversation for the papers.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Apprentice
Member # 5117
Profile #10
This guy Pangle obviously has some communication issues. I have killed the hydras, freed the dragon, have more than 500 gold, yet I can get no dialog options to get the papers. What is the problem?

[ Monday, October 25, 2004 14:34: Message edited by: arkadillo ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Go back to Kevin in Marralis. Say these things in this order:

1. "May we speak with you about Marralis?"
2. "How are you managing?"
3. "Who's been so lucky?"
4. "Do you think Pangle will help us?"

That will set flag (3,10) to 1. Then go back to Pangle's Hut and say to him:

1. "Kevin sent us. He thought you might be able to help us."

You will only have this dialogue option once. You may have already said this, so it may not be an option. Say this, or if you can't, just proceed. Next, say:

1. "Do you know anything about the curse in the vale?"
2. "What about the School of Magery? Do you know anything about that?"

The only way that you won't have those last two options is if you haven't said "Do you think Pangle will help us?" to Kevin or if you have already solved the curse of the Vale. If you go back to talk to Kevin again, that should pretty much solve everything.

If this doesn't work, I'm not sure what to do.

[ Monday, October 25, 2004 15:27: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 5131
Profile #12
There's another way to get Pangle to tell you about the papers.

When you get to the area with the Vahnatai, talk to Baia-Tel. If you ask the right questions, he'll say that a bitter person on the surface (Pangle) has a copy of the instructions to the controls. Then head to Pangle's hut and either pay 500 gold or kill the hydras.

Now for my own questions:

1. Does anyone know where I can get a Drake Fang for one of the subquests? I found it once in BoE, but that was years ago.

2. Where is the source of Fort Talrus' rat infestation?

[ Monday, October 25, 2004 15:36: Message edited by: Altimus ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
The drake fang is in a secret passage northeast of Blinlock. Walk due north from the watchtower just southeast of the town and you'll be near the secret passage. But I have to go, so I can't answer the second question. Bah.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 27
Profile #14
Come to think of it, I think you have to speak with the mayor of Marralis about Pangle before you can ask Kevin about him.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #15
Second question.

If you walk along the outside western wall in the fort you are able to go to the very end and turn to the west. Now if you stay against the wall to the south you won't go out of the town. Walk along this wall and their should be a secret passage into the hill terrain. Here are the rats.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5134
Profile #16
That was easy. I usually stumbe into secret passage ways. But you know at the school of magery. I freed that dragon with the Quark thingy than what. Arn't I supposed to get a spell.

--------------------
Don't do that.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
Nope. Freeing the dragon allows you to progress in the scenario, but you don't get any actual reward.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5117
Profile #18
Nothing anyone suggests is working with Pangle. I have talked with everyone and everything, but am getting nowhere. How do you get him to put you on the hydra quest? I can't even get that much...

[ Tuesday, October 26, 2004 07:02: Message edited by: arkadillo ]
Apprentice
Member # 5134
Profile #19
Whos Karma?

--------------------
Don't do that.
Apprentice
Member # 5131
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by arkadillo:

Nothing anyone suggests is working with Pangle. I have talked with everyone and everything, but am getting nowhere. How do you get him to put you on the hydra quest? I can't even get that much...
I got my strategy from the help guide that came with the demo. It worked for me.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
I am looking directly at the scripts. If you do what I told you to, then I'm pretty sure that it has to work. Did you go back and say exactly what I told you to say to Kevin?

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 5117
Profile #22
Yes, I did it exactly as you have said, and I haven't once had the option outside of the basic dialog with him. I know I played BOE about 4-5 times and it worked then, so I must have done something wrong to not get the options. It sounds like I might need to start all over....
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
What are your dialogue choices, by the way?

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 5117
Profile #24
Well, I gave up and started over again. Everything worked out just fine. I don't know why it wasn't working before, but the second time was a charm today. I do appreciate all the help!