Feel of Blades

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Feel of Blades
Apprentice
Member # 2122
Profile #0
All,

I have noticed that each Avernum has a certain feel for it. This is most noticable in Avernum III where it seems like the damages of spells and especially melee shot way up. Has there been a discussion about which Avernum Blades would be most like.

My $0.02 is that while I like the new features of A3, I was not as much a fan of the greater damage ranges. It made much of the game easier than I would have like (esp at normal difficulty), except for a few super damaging monsters (Dark Wyrms). These did so much damage in return that even at my highest level, I had to resort to using bait characters (put someone in the front with arcane shielding).

It seemed that in the earlier ones, things were more balanced and battles were less likely to be determined by one or two hits.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #1
Jeff has said that Blades will be more like 3. Still, we can hope that some of the damage issues will be resolved. If not, us designers can just do it ourselves.

--------------------
Fnord. (Insert your name here) is a capitalist pigdog.
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
If Voting could change the system, it would be against the law.
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #2
High damage isn't a problem, designes can jusrt put in monsters with higher health. The main problem is the damage caps. There will probably come a pint quite quickly where this limit is reached, and people won't be able to have their super powerful parties. It would be really nice if Jeff got rid of that (although I have a feeling he won't)

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
If necessary, monsters can be given ridiculously high resistance to everything, including physical damage.

—Alorael, who just hopes that physical resistance, or defense, or global resistance, or something along those lines will be included.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #4
Yeah. New resistances would be a really good idea. Also, in either case one could save oneself the trouble of rebalancing monster hp and dealing with damage by just scaling down the damage weapons and monsters can deal.
I also think that if weapon type resists are included, the PCs should have some way to get at them.

--------------------
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
Apprentice
Member # 2122
Profile #5
quote:
Originally posted by Jigga:
High damage isn't a problem, designes can jusrt put in monsters with higher health. The main problem is the damage caps. There will probably come a pint quite quickly where this limit is reached, and people won't be able to have their super powerful parties. It would be really nice if Jeff got rid of that (although I have a feeling he won't)
I actually had the opposite feeling but in general I start to lose interest in the game once my party gets to a certain level. This is probably why A2 why my favorite episode and is one of the reasons that A3 didn't do much for me.

My best experiences are when I am mid to intermediate level and I try to take on a fight that is beyond me (I had backtracking). I love having to leave and reenter and really horde the resources. By the end of A3, I could go through any of the dungeons (even the last one) and only have to leave to get items identified.
Apprentice
Member # 2122
Profile #6
quote:
Originally posted by modnaR:
Yeah. New resistances would be a really good idea. Also, in either case one could save oneself the trouble of rebalancing monster hp and dealing with damage by just scaling down the damage weapons and monsters can deal.
I also think that if weapon type resists are included, the PCs should have some way to get at them.

I forgot how much editabilty Blade of Exile gives you. You're right that really this it is the scenario designer's perrogative to provide appropriate challenges.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
And believe me, there will be plenty of challenging BoA scenarios ...

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #8
Won't disagree with that...

--------------------
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #9
I will make some as soon as BoA comes out.. :P

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]