2nd Newbie Question: Mass-attack spells

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: 2nd Newbie Question: Mass-attack spells
Apprentice
Member # 2257
Profile #0
The answer will probably be similar to my first question, but...

Mass-destruction spells (i.e Fireball, Firestorm) were great amounts of fun in the original Exile series. (Admittedly, one got less XP by killing something via this spell instead of melee/non-mass spells). Considering that the current arrow spells allow mass-attacks anyway, why was firestorm, etc. taken out?

Similar to that (again :) ) is whether there is any chance of having similar permutations of these spells in BoA.

- Leshrac
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #1
There's probably no chance of new mass-destruction spells, aside from the wall spells, like cloud of Blades. I doubt Jeff will make an exception in this case, though it's always possible.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
They were taken out because they didn't fit into the way Jeff programmed his engine. We'd all like to see them return, but it won't happen in BoA.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #3
Out of interest, what made Cloud of Blades the exception to the rule?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #4
It's a field. I suppose that fields are special and different.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
I can't imagine that programming a field that lasts for 0 turns would be much harder than programming a field that stays around for a while. And even a field that lasts for a turn would do decently as a fireball.

—Alorael, who is pretty sure there is even a way in the Avernum engine to deal damage to a certain radius or area. There are a few places with explosions that damage everyone in an area and nobody outside it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #6
The thing is (and this also annoys me about cloud of blades), you can only center on a monster, as the old targetting system is different to the new one (also annoying w/ blck shades and guardians). A fireball wouldn't be nearly as much fun if it had to be targetted on a monster.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #7
Oh how true.. I really miss Exile's firballs and such.. :(

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #8
I don't. At high levels you can hit 10+ enemies with fireblast or Arcane blow, and cloud of blades can quickly dispatch lesser enemies, so it's all the same to me. The one pain is that you can't hit black shades or guardians anymore.
Come to think of it, cloud of blades is much bigger than just about anything in the exile series. 3 5x5 clouds is a total of up to 75 squares coverage. Think about that-it's huge. Or, alternatively, you can make them overlap for more damage up front, but less area.

--------------------
Fnord. (Insert your name here) is a capitalist pigdog.
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
If Voting could change the system, it would be against the law.
Warrior
Member # 1891
Profile Homepage #9
The spell I'd miss most is quickfire. That's why I bought BoE instead of holding out until BoA comes out. I also like the interface of Exile and wanted more. and Modnar? I still say WALL of blades from E3 rocks Blade cloud's world.

--------------------
http://members.lycos.co.uk/wiseforums/forums/index.php
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #10
I didn't say cloud of blades was the best, I just said it was farging huge. Even level 1 cloud of blades is still bigger than most exile walls (with the possible exception of protective circle), but I agree that the requirement of a creature to target is annoying and makes the spell alot less useful. Of course, if you're that desperate, you could just cast create illusions to summon up plenty plenty targets. Just not in a friendly town.

--------------------
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
Apprentice
Member # 2221
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally posted by modnaR:
The one pain is that you can't hit black shades or guardians anymore.
yeah, this is the one thing that really sucks about the Avernum series. That, and not being able to aim spells (like fireblast) in an area, instead of directly on a monster...it saved a lot of time and enegy for me in Exile.they should bring that back for BoA. As for the actual spells themselves, it would be nice to have a magical absorption spell...something that might give you a new spell or level of spell by taking it out of an enemy mage or something... that would be cool.

--------------------
'We hope your rules and wisdom choke you...'
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #12
That sort of spell would likely be WAY, WAY overpowered. And if you weakened it enough that it wasn't, it would probably be pretty useless.
Furthermore, let me state again that when you create a spell, you have to realize that the monsters may be able to cast it on you. How would you like to see all the hard work you went through to get level 3 fireblast or somesuch anulled in a second because you had the bad luck to be at the wrong end of that spell. I, for one, would just reload the game whenever the spell was successfully used on me.
Anyway, I agree with you on the targeting problem. My solution is this: I'm thinking of asking Jeff to include a feature that allows you to target yourself with an offensive spell. Ideally you'd get a message that said something to the effect of 'you are about to target yourself with a damaging spell, are you sure you want to do that?'. This wouldn't necessarily be a widely used feature, but it would still be really useful in some situations. What does the community think of this idea?

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #13
I can't think for the life of me why you'd want to do that (examples would be nice). What would be useful would be to target beneficial spells on monsters (particularly friendly ones), although Im not sure if this is left out for a reason (seeing as it has been pretty much absent in all Spidweb games)

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #14
Mass healing/curing and haste (as well as other all-party spells) can be cast on friendly monsters, but you can't select the targets. Usually it affects about half of the group that is accompanying you.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #15
But it would be nice to target them, particularly if they have much less health than anyone else, or maybe you could bless them (Im starting to see a flaw in this though - a majorly blesseddervish or something with arcane shield would pretty much be invincible)

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #16
Technically, when you think about it, all things with arcane shield are pretty much invincible. Que no?

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #17
Hmm... good point. How about a basilisk with arcane shield then (but that won't happen anyway, as capture soul and silmrilicum (sp) wont exist). I'm just assuming its for reasons like that that 'good' magic can't be targetted at friendly (or hostile) monsters.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #18
Well, technically, the enemies could do that and still can. (insert reference to evil grin here)

--------------------