DwD - Vakhos' hidden weakness?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: DwD - Vakhos' hidden weakness?
Apprentice
Member # 4531
Profile #0
(spoiler)

I just finished DwD and the one thing that's still bugging me is why, of all the things Vakhos could be vulnerable to, it has to be cloud of blades? Is there a logic to this beyond just needing to give him a weakness? Why not wooden stakes or holy symbols or some more traditional vampire weakness?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #1
It's because, as far as I know, Cloud of Blades is the only spell that deals normal, ie, physical damage, like the damage you get when just attacking. So, if you just run up to him and hit him with a weapon, he should also take damage. It's not that he's VULNERABLE to Cloud of Blades, rather that he's RESISTANT to fire and ice and lightning and all that.

(Although I haven't yet got up to that stage in DwtD, so I don't know.)

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Apprentice
Member # 4531
Profile #2
So cloud of blades does more damage than a blessed crossbow wielded by a character with a 12 in bow skill? That can't be right. My archer kept plunking him with bolts doing damage in the 50s or 60s, and doing similar amounts with a blessed greatsword, while he took hundreds of points of damage each time my mage/priest cast cloud of blades, and I can tell for sure that it doesn't do that much to other creatures.
Apprentice
Member # 4531
Profile #3
Actually, it might be that he has something like 75% resistance to melee damage and 75% resistance to missile damage, but cloud of blades is neither, so there's no way to give damage resistance against it. If so, scenario designers shouild take note that giving a monster percentage melee and missile damage resistances in lieu of armor will have this odd effect. I'm looking at his creature script right now, but it's hard to make sense of.
Apprentice
Member # 4258
Profile #4
The reason, as far as I can tell, is because Cloud of Blades seems to do damage based on a % of the target's health. Therefor monsters with high hit points (ie bosses) will take a huge amount of damage from it. Personally I feel this makes the spell a little overpowered, especially considering that it only costs 10 SP cast, and is a priest spell no less.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #5
Without it, priests wouldn't have any good offensive spells compared to mages.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Apprentice
Member # 4258
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Keep:

Without it, priests wouldn't have any good offensive spells compared to mages.
And they shouldn't IMO, as that would leave very little reason to have a mage instead of a priest.
Infiltrator
Member # 169
Profile #7
Actually, that would leave several reasons for a mage instead of a priest:

Arcane Shield
Summoning spells
Slow
Unlock (Neccessary for magical doors)
Far Sight (Useful, but not neccessary)
Offensive spells with many targets (CoB is limited to spell level)