Some questions about VODT

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Some questions about VODT
Warrior
Member # 3905
Profile #0
I've finished the scenario, completing all sidequests I've stumbled upon. But I have a couple of questions that keep bugging me.

1) What is the most powerfull weapon you can find?
I can't figure out which one does more damage, the flame sword, or the fine waveblade (I haven't quite learned how to decypher the damage potential). I'm trying to make my primary fighter (a berserker) as bad as he can be.

2) In the school, in the vahnatai (or how the hell you spell it) cave there is a door inside a secret passage that i couldn't pick (it's difficulty 25). What's behind there?

Oh, and I've managed to get the skills 'Parry' and 'Magery' (I believe it's called). What exactly is it they do?
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #1
Where did you get parry and magery. I've completed VoDT three times and not found them. But I didn't do all of the side quests, just some.

I think the most powerful weapon is the Fine Waveblade. HOW TO UNDERSTAND THE WEAPON STATS > The fist amount, eg. 1-7, is the basic damage you give, and the second amount, eg. 1-3. is added for every level of strength + weapon type you have. melle for melee, and pole for pole. It's the same with archery, but you use dexterity, missiles + bows. :rolleyes:

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Warrior
Member # 3905
Profile #2
You don't exactly "find" the skills. You get special skills when you pour enough skill points into certain skills. To get 'Parry' you place a lot of skill points into 'Dexterity' and 'Defense' (I think). 'Magery' is probably linked to 'Intelligence' and 'Priest/Mage level'.

Thanks for the rundown on the damage potential, but how does the game decide exactly how much damage you do (is 3-12 a 3 or a 12, or somewhere in between?), and how does the +8 fire damage work?
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Dyng:

In the school, in the vahnatai (or how the hell you spell it) cave there is a door inside a secret passage that i couldn't pick (it's difficulty 25). What's behind there?
I asked the same question: It's nothing behind. One of Jeff's evil jokes :D

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #4
Thanks for that, The attacks are just randomly rolled, like a set of dice. And the fire damage is added on top of that, The extra fire damage won't do much agiainst fire immune things, or fire resistant. Some of my people are very fire resistant. :rolleyes:

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #5
How much skills did you 'pour in'? Because I really want all of my characters to know all of the special abilities, and that could get expensive...

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4484
Profile #6
Dyng ask:"...but how does the game decide exactly how much damage you do (is 3-12 a 3 or a 12, or somewhere in between?), and how does the +8 fire damage work?"
If it's between 3 and 12, by definition, it's hazard, chance, like when you throw dice on a table!For the +8 fire damage, I think it's add to the total, but it depends if the creture have some immunities and stuff...
For the "best weapon", check the second value of the weapon, eg. a 2-8 +1-6/level weapon is better than a 3-16 +1-3/level ...
For the special skills I'm just gonna copy a list I've fond on the forum:
Parry:Dext 8 + Def 6
Blademaster:Melee 6 + Pole 6 + Str 8
Quick attack: Dext 8 + Melee or Pole 6
Anatomy:Int 6 + Melee or Pole 8
Gym:Str 8 + Dext 10
Lethal Blow: Anatomy 8 + Blademaster 8
Riposte:Parry 8 + Blademaster 6
Sharpshooter:Dext 6 + Bows or TW 8
Pathfinder:Int 8 + Nature Lore 6
Magery:Int 10 + Mage or Priest 6
Mag.Efficienty:Magery 8 + End 11

The values after the skills names aren't your total in this skill, but the number of points you've spend in this skill.

--------------------
"Il est interdit de se battre sur le Champ du Massacre; dit-il avant de marquer une pause, le temps de reflechir a la logique de ses propos."

Discworld, The Colour of Magic
Warrior
Member # 3905
Profile #7
Thanks heaps for explaining the hit point system. And even more for assuring me that I won't have to bring my tool use up to level 25 and return and pick that lock. :)

However I'd still like to know what the special skills do exactly... Anyone?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
Parry increases your chance of dodging an attack.
Blademaster improves your accuracy and/or damage with melee and pole weapons.
Quick Strike allows you to act earlier in a round and randomly gives you bonus AP.
Anatomy improves your accuracy and/or damage with melee and pole weapons.
Gymnastics allows you to act earlier in a round and improves your ability to dodge attacks.
Lethal Blow allows you to randomly perform very powerful attacks with a melee or pole weapon. It's like Assassination, but stronger.
Riposte allows you to randomly get a free attack against any opponent who attacks you in melee.
Sharpshooter improves your accuracy and/or damage with bows and thrown missiles.
Pathfinder randomly allows you to avoid adverse affects from terrains such as swamps or lava.
Magery improves the power of your mage and priest spells.
Magical Efficiency randomly reduces the cost of your mage and priest spells.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!