General BoA Thoughts

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: General BoA Thoughts
Apprentice
Member # 2134
Profile Homepage #0
Just some general things I'm wondering about when it comes to BoA. These aren't necessarily suggestions or anything - and keep in mind, I'm probably glossing over anything discussed here already.

As a beta tester for Blades of Exile back in the day (when the internet was powered by steam and spam was just a sparkle in some young, lazy entrepreneur's eye), I got to thinking of a general update to the system. Now, I don't admit to creating any scenarios myself - just some small ones in order to test out the product. So, mindless babble:

* Improved custom graphics system? If I remember correctly, importing custom graphics into BoE was a massive pain that involved some directory shenanigans. I don't know if it'd be possible given the programming, but I'd love to see an "unzip, play" type of thing.

* Size limitations. Granted, creating something the size of, say, the Avernum 3 world would take one a long time, could you double or even triple the size of the quests and general world without running into problems?

* Editing spells, items, etc. to a major extent would be fun.

And that's that.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
Well, the only size limitation about BoE was that we could only use 100 towns. BoA will use a 200 town maximum. I can definitely envision scenarios bigger and better than A3.

Custom graphics are not a pain for BoE. I put together a decent graphics sheet in about five minutes. I'm not exactly sure how the sheets will work for BoA, though.

Spells will never be editable, but items and monsters will reach never-before-seen levels of customization. They were able to be customized in BoE, but not nearly this much.

Also, I'd avoid mentioning that you tested BoE. You will definitely run into hostility on the BoE board.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 2134
Profile Homepage #2
All good points. I'll keep the hositility issue in mind, thanks.

--------------------
- Pat B.
www.mp.com/palecurve
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #3
Yes, especially the "Bigger" part.

--------------------
DONOR Fat Freddys Drop
Shirow Miwa
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #4
I'd disagree about custom graphics. It was much too easy to move a graphic a pixel or two over and end up having one picture intrude on another. Not to say you couldn't use custom graphics sheets, just that placing them correctly was a rather painstaking process. I hope BoA has a custom graphics system more akin to the Avernum trilogy, i.e. single monsters and blocks of several terrains in each resource (for resedit, that is, I'm not sure how the .bmp files would work).

--------------------
Fnord. (Insert your name here) is a capitalist pigdog.
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
If Voting could change the system, it would be against the law.
BoE Posse
Member # 15
Profile Homepage #5
BoA will have graphic sheets, but with clearly defined borders between each graphic. Chack out the thread by TM - he is hosting BoA graphics on his site. I also put together several rough pages on BoA graphic design that I ran by Jeff & got the thumbs up on.

--------------------
All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

Visit the Louvre, the BoA Graphics Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boa/louvre/
Visit Alexandria, the BoE Scenario Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boe/alexandriajs/
Posts: 653 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #6
I know what BoA graphics look like (check TM's site-I made some of the monsters there, though he got my name backwards), I just wonder how they'll be organized. From what you said, it sounds like they'll all be in the same resource # in resedit. I hope not, as it would be a nightmare to try to get any significant amount of pics on there. Or were you saying they would all be in the same file, but would be seperate, like they currently are in the Avernum trilogy?

--------------------
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
Probably all on the same page, which doesn't seem too bad, considering that BoE graphics are the same way.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #8
I'm betting on the avernum style. If you think about how complex the Avernum sprites are, compared to the Exile ones, it makes sense. The bigger the file, the more chances for errors and screw ups.

--------------------
PhoenixNinjas!
Ninja-Moderation!
What we need is Urban Wisdom!
Vote Wise Man!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #9
But drakefyre, Avernum graphics are about twice the width and five times the height of Exile graphics! It doesn't make any sense! I hope Teh Ratcht is right.

--------------------