Continuity Questions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Continuity Questions
Warrior
Member # 720
Profile #0
1. Had Avernum been discovered when Emperor Stewart was reigning or was it discovered afterwards?
2. Had the empire always had a strict racial cleansing policy or was that adopted at a specific point in time?
3. What is the name of the main laguage of the empire (ie. our English)?
4. During whose reign was the world officially united?
5. Who was Stewart's successor or is it not indicated?
6a. Of which continent is Skylark Vale a part?
b. Is there a basic map of the continent itself?

I think that that's it... merci.

--------------------
-Daravon
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Hee hee hee... I do love these history questions.

I claim (with evidence here) that Stewart was the emperor who discovered Avernum, but this is not widely accepted. The traditional interpretation is that Stewart's successor sent the First Expedition.

I also claim that Stewart's successor was either Hawthorne or Hawthorne's father, but the traditional interpretation is that it was Hawthorne's grandfather (named Hawthorne I, where the Hawthorne of A1 is Hawthorne III).

On language: Languages of the World. Specifically, the language of the Empire is apparently Pralgradian.

For other traditional answers, I refer you to the Encyclopedia Ermariana

And Luz has maps at The Blazing Blade, which seem to indicate that Skylark Vale is on Pralgrad.

Well, come to think of it, Aran has a better timeline than anything in the Encyclopedia here.

EDIT: Gah, just started reading that thread. It may be more confusing than enlightening. I strongly agree with *i's concern about "writing history" as expressed there, though.

Oh, and if you're interested in the actual information in the games, I posted a bunch of that in the Slith Homeland thread, where I actually CITE MY SOURCES, a novel concept.

And one more history topic, just in case you want to read more. Drakey says here that the final conquest of Valorim was in 690, which would put it in... um... Stewart's reign, apparently.

Don't know about the racial cleansing, but it's somewhere in that vast expanse of text in those links.

Makes you never want to ask another history question again, doesn't it?

[ Sunday, May 16, 2004 20:44: Message edited by: And Kelandon is his Prophet. ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
1. Afterwards
2. Pretty much forever
3. Some form of Pralgradian
4. Stewart
5. Hawthorne I
6a. We don't know - either Pralgrad or Aizo
b. Sort of, but not really. Trying to recreate an entire continent is generally a bad idea anyway.

quote:

Well, come to think of it, Aran has a better timeline than anything in the Encyclopedia here.
Don't read this thread if you value your sanity. The relevant info has been taken out already, and it will only confuse you.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
According to evidence in Exile I (Nephil fort) and Exile II (Vahnatai obelisk), the language of the Empire (or one of its major languages) is called English.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 720
Profile #4
Thank you for all of this information. No, I don't plan on recreating an entire continent, merely referring to it (and merely referring to most of this information).

And as far as those history threads are concerned, I tried reading them when they were being written and they were confusing. :P

--------------------
-Daravon