Decency Question

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Decency Question
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #0
In One-Way Street, the party is given a plot-mandatory mission to kill the owner of a brothel at the behest of the religious institution that the party belongs to. To what extent should I have the party see/hear the actions described therein? How aught I limit this encounter to make it decent? I've already set the scenario's rating to "Mature" accordingly, I don't want to absolutely have to set it to "Adult", and I want to keep it safe enough to put on Spidweb's tables and into the design contest.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
The BoE scenario Trouble in Mendor contained a brothel and was rated PG, due to a generalised lack of adult content beyond a couple of non-explicit references in dialogue. No reason you can't do the same if you have a little self-control.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

The BoE scenario Trouble in Mendor contained a brothel and was rated PG, due to a generalised lack of adult content beyond a couple of non-explicit references in dialogue. No reason you can't do the same if you have a little self-control.
*agrees*
There's not much point to having actual brothel situations, anyway. They're just cheap fiction.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #3
Or you could have an option for censorship at the beginning of the scenario, and make the same town twice: version 1 would be uncensored, version 2 would go easy on the graphics, sound effects, and descriptions. Then link the player's choice to VTE for the town with the brothel.

Stupid Newb: TM says that it's plot-mandatory, hence not cheap fiction.

[ Tuesday, April 13, 2004 13:24: Message edited by: wizard arsics ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #4
quote:
Stupid Newb: TM says that it's plot-mandatory, hence not cheap fiction.
You note that I said
quote:
actual brothel situations
Not the simple existence of a brothel. 'Actual brothel situations' meaning sex, nudity, and extreme language.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #5
The brothel shouldn't be the most offensive thing in the scenario. The blatant fascism, anti-God rhetoric and a menagerie of other things will do that just fine.
^_^

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Must all scenarios be vehicles for propaganda? I mean, you don't even need our cooperation! You have the Black Mark Cabbages for that!

—Alorael, who is sure some careful innuendos and self-censoring can convey all the necessary brothel feel without offending any kittens or puppies. Not that kittens or puppies play BoA, come to think of it...
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4160
Profile #7
I think its just that people ramble when they type at the computer too much. :) I do it too.

And as for the brothel, its not like the game has the capacity to be truly adult... i mean scantily dressed ladies are probably mature, and that fits your rating. As long as you dont make a cutscene or anything, lol...