Comprehensive BoA Scenario Rankings

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Comprehensive BoA Scenario Rankings
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #0
http://pub26.ezboard.com/fthelyceumfrm32

Do you want to speak your mind about the scenarios out thusfar and those to come? Then give your own 1-10 rating of your favorite (or least favorite!) scenario here.
Thanks bundles!

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
I just want you to remember, TM, when you're reading my long, boring, verbose rationalizations of my ratings...

... you asked for it. :P

Is there a rubric for these? I vaguely remember something about a rubric in BoE, but I don't know if it applies anymore.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
Rubrics are not recommended.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
Simple additive/subtractive rubrics tend to be silly when applied to scenarios which have serious flaws; you can't very well give a bad scenario 50 out of 100 just for not having any bugs, but an otherwise decent scenario so buggy as to be virtually unplayable might well justify deducting that many points.

The only reasonable way to do a rubric would be to start with a perfect score and subtract a percentage of the current score for every flaw in the scenario. Even then, people will disagree as to how different parts should be weighted -- and that's as it should be.

[ Monday, March 29, 2004 01:51: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #4
Generally, I start at 5 and add points for good stuff and take points away for bad stuff. Number of points added/taken varies a lot.

[ Monday, March 29, 2004 02:21: Message edited by: The Creator ]

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
BoE Posse
Member # 15
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Rubrics are not recommended.
Let's not start THAT debate again! Whether you believe in them or not, they can be useful just as a checklist of things to look for. They will give you an objective score for the things that can be looked at objectively. What they cannot do is score your subjective feelings. That you have to do on your own.

So, is it possible to have a scenario that the rubric gives a high score to, yet still be a "lousy" scenario? Sure! If you find the subject matter offensive, or you have one thing the rubric has a poor score for that you deem is more important than anything else but all other things give it a total high score, well, there you have it.

FYI - The BoE Scenario Rubric is located at:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/b/x/bxb11/boe/rubric.htm

--------------------
All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

Visit the Louvre, the BoA Graphics Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boa/louvre/
Visit Alexandria, the BoE Scenario Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boe/alexandriajs/
Posts: 653 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00