Minor Bugs

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Minor Bugs
Apprentice
Member # 385
Profile #0
I think I've found some minor bugs in the BOA game:

Firstly, if I'm running in full-screen mode at the recommended 800x600 screen resolution, I sometimes use cmd-tab to switch back to the Finder. When I press cmd-tab again, the game's screen is pushed down by the height of the window's title bar, making it hard to see the buttons at the bottom. The only way I've discovered to restore the screen is to type cmd-P to bring up the Preferences dialog, then hit OK. That brings the window back to it's normal position again (with the title bar hidden)

Anyone else seen this?

Secondly, in A Small Rebellion, I've noticed in one encounter (the hidden empire outpost you attack when you change sides and go with the rebels) that when you're in an enclosed space with locked doors and have Terror cast on one of your characters, the character rushes about activating the "do you want to unlock?" dialog multiple times per round. It's rather annoying having a hasted character bring up this dialog box five times in a single round!

I'm pretty sure the same thing would happen with any special node (or whatever they're called in BoA) if a character is terrified in an enclosed space.

Is there any way of disabling these dialogs from triggering when a character moves while terrified?

Finally, not really a bug, but a quirk of the scenarios that come with BoA: the game engine supports the idea of day and night, but in towns you can still go shopping in the middle of the night. Don't the shopkeepers ever sleep? I'm sure it'd be possible to set up the scenarios so that the shopkeepers aren't there at night (and all the doors are locked). It's just odd to walk into a town in the middle of the night and see the shopkeepers all standing around waiting to sell you something...

Cheers,

- Erik.

PS: keep up the great work, Jeff -- even in the first release BoA is fantastic!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
1) BoA is not the only program with this problem. My suggestion is to not change the resolution.

2) Well, if he's terrified he wants to run away. And if he's not terrified, and you move him to that space because you want him to try and open the door, and the dialog box doesn't come up, would you be mad?

3) The designers can implement this if they want.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 385
Profile #2
Hi Drakefyre,

1) BoA is not the only program with this problem. My suggestion is to not change the resolution.

Fair enough -- though it's annoying when you normally use 800x600 resolution (my eyesight's not what it used to be!) and so can't avoid this bug...

2) Well, if he's terrified he wants to run away. And if he's not terrified, and you move him to that space because you want him to try and open the door, and the dialog box doesn't come up, would you be mad?

Have you seen this problem? It's extremely confusing and annoying for the player to be confronted by the "do you want to unlock this door?" dialog five times in a single round, when you *know* that you don't want your terrified character to leave the room. My suggestion for Jeff is to add a check to see if the character was moved because they were terrified (as opposed to moved explicitly by the user) and suppress the dialog box if the character moved because he/she was terrified. That way, if the character isn't terrified, the dialog box would still show up -- it's only in the case of terrified characters that the dialog box becomes a nuisance.

3) The designers can implement this if they want.

True. I was just pointing out a weirdness in the gameplay from a user's point of view.

By the way, how hard would it be to incorporate this type of behaviour in a scenario? Would you need two versions of a single town, one for day and another for night, or can you simply have the characters not show up if it's night-time? Just curious...

Oh, one other bug/quirk while I remember it: in many of the outdoor encounters, you walk up to the encounter and get a dialog box saying something like "you've stumbled on a nest of hydras" or whatever. When you click on "OK", you go into combat mode -- but once you've defeated the monsters, you don't actually get the reward (eg, "in the nest you find a wand") until you walk away from the encounter and walk back again. In BoE you got the reward as soon as you defeated the monster, now you have to walk away and come back -- which is a bit confusing.

Cheers,

- Erik.

PS: Please don't think I'm complaining about BoA -- I've been waiting literally years for it, and it's fantastic. I'm only pointing out these bugs and quirks so that Jeff is aware of them, and can fix the ones he thinks are worth fixing in a future release of the game...if there's a better way of passing on bug reports to Jeff and the others at Spiderweb, please let me know.

[ Wednesday, March 24, 2004 02:42: Message edited by: Erik Westra ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
You'd need two versions of a town alternating through variable town entry.

As for the outdoor encounter rewards, if you link the script directly to the completion of the combat, then you can get the reward there. Unfortunately, that doesn't take into account whether or not your inventory is full, so Jeff prefers to have you return to the nest.

I think Jeff still checks these forums occasionally, but emailing them to him is more effective.

[ Wednesday, March 24, 2004 02:44: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #4
drakey, is it possible to make variable town entry via the time of day it is? i always thought that was just background...

and erik, in the middle ages, shopkeepers and especially innkeepers were open 24/7 unless there was like a triumph march or something. though sometimes you could nab em slepin ;)
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
Midknight - Yes, if you put the calls in the start state, which is called every turn. That way you can check to see if it's dark, set the SDF, and then when it's morning again you can change it back.

--------------------
====
====