The economy in VoDT

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The economy in VoDT
Apprentice
Member # 3846
Profile #0
I enjoyed VoDT both in BoE and BoA, but having just finished it I thought certain aspects of the economy of the scenario were funny.

See after about half-way through the scenario started to become a cakewak for my 4 member party. I was delving into the school and coming out with hoards of gems, and armor and weapons from the many monsters i killed (Iron studded armor and longswords). But as wealthy as the treasures of the school were, I was limited by a provincial rural economy. The best buyer I could find was the blacksmith in the capital city, who bought items at about 1/3 price, meaning I was getting pennies for my rubies, emralds and the like. Even so, midway through the scenario i had several thousand gold, and nothing to spend it on.

Again you're limited by the rural economy, there aren't any huge markets. The blacksmiths item's quickly paled in comparison to the loot I was finding in the school. And the most irksome part was that i couldn't get any spells, often I spend money on upgrading spells, but of course you can't get any more than the basic 7 level 1 spells in VoDT. (an aside, I was impressed how well I did with basic spells like ice lances, slow, and repel undead) So here I was raking in the cash, but it wasn't any good to me, it was just money. I thought that was pretty funny. It's a bit of a strange economic situtation, but actually rather realistic. In a provincial part of the Empire, what are you going to spend your money on?

I suppose real estate would be cheap during the scenario, and you could certainly make a profit selling it back once you end the curse. It would have been the perfect profit-making enterprise.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
Money helps in future scenarios. It does make sense, though, that these poor people in the ravaged land wouldn't be able to spend that much on your items.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #2
do it again and see how much cash you can bleed it for...not having to buy anything at all ;)

also the side-quests i found rather cheap, for example the drake gave you two spells that you probably already had (unless you didn't custom design your party like us 1337 fellows do), and the one about mining scrolls made you go all the way into the library and back up (yes there is a second shortcut but...) for 200gp! i mean that's just cheap theyre gonna be extracting silver from that mine like canadians do to maples, and all you get is a measly 200gp :eek:
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 3846
Profile #3
I was annoyed by the drake's reward as well. I had bought the cleric and mage spell, and then found them in the school of magic and then was given them by the drake. By that point I was sick of getting the same 2 spells over and over. ;-)