too bad....

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: too bad....
Apprentice
Member # 4110
Profile #0
I dont support apple in any regard....
Guess I will just have to wait
Why compile it for mac first tho...?
Is a majority of the fanbase mac useres?
Just wondering

--------------------
If your reading this, it's already too late...
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Jeff is a Mac user so he designed it on a Mac. The fanbase is split about 50/50 Mac/Windows users.

Maybe this ought to be in the FAQ.

[ Saturday, March 20, 2004 17:46: Message edited by: The Soviet Onion ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #2
Well, to get BoA earlier ... could be a reason to support apple, no?

:D )
(*
((
Mac rules

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Apprentice
Member # 4110
Profile #3
Yes I kind of assumed that....
too bad I'll never use a mac...

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4110
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

Well, to get BoA earlier ... could be a reason to support apple, no?

[/i]

Does apple support plug n play?
I would rather have an upgradeable unit than having to buy whole new setups with no choice of os? You have to run a mac os on a mac machine right?
I dont know much so forgive me if I am wrong
Also I wouldnt know how to rate macs, I use the pc mainly for video editing which is cpu intensive
I currently have a p4 3 GHz 800 MHz FSB cpu with HT, what kind of cpu do mac use
I also capture video with my radeon card...what kind of video cards for mac?
I could ask more but...oh well

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
I would rather have an upgradeable unit than having to buy whole new setups with no choice of os? You have to run a mac os on a mac machine right?
Also I wouldnt know how to rate macs, I use the pc mainly for video editing which is cpu intensive
I currently have a p4 3 GHz 800 MHz FSB cpu with HT, what kind of cpu do mac use
I could ask more but...oh well
In order of your questions:

Support plug and play? Apple practically invented it.

There's no reason you can't upgrade your Mac's hardware and software.

I don't know much about performance rating either, although the consensus seems to be that Macs are pretty good with graphics work. If you're using your computer for serious video editing, I'd advise you to talk to a wide range of experts in the field.

You can run Linux on a Mac if you want, and there are good Windows emulators available for Mac as well.

Once again, I'm not a hardware expert by any means. If performance is important to you, check your facts with people in the know.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4110
Profile #6
hmm well I dont know abotu switching to mac but I am thinking of swithcing to amd 64 by next year....
mmm welcome to the world of 64bit computing, too bad its not very practical yet

of course consoles will always be my major gaming source....no way you can compete with 128 bit
wonder what the next playstation will be like

--------------------
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #7
I know a guy who's a professional video editor. He hates Macs. I guess it's kind of like the Ford/Holden thing, but for techies.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #8
quote:
from Gremlin Chief (in another topic): If you have a mac version of 8.1 or up, put it on your PC, get an emulator, get a ROM card, and voila! Play BoA on your PC.
^ you can emulate a mac ...

Yes, mac hardware runs with mac OS (you could emulate a PC-surface as well). Apple is specialized on video-work and DVD -
have a look at apple.com.

My old PowerMac G4 has a ATI graphic card, but I think, you could use radeon as well - I'm not specialized in deconstructing hardware. As far I know, you can build in whatever you want, macs are very modifiable.
Be warned: Once you use a mac, you would not want to go back to PC again ...

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #9
In an effort to clear up some confusion....

Video editing is incredible on the Mac. They have industrial strength hardware, and exellent software, like Final Cut, that is probably close to being the best in the business.

BUT (and you knew there was a "but")

To take advantage of videoediting, you really do need to invest in a G5 (Apple's 64 bit chip), and it ain't cheap. Smooth, wonderful, etc., but not cheap. And as cool as BoA is, you really should buy the computer on the total merits, unless you happen to have a couple of thousands dollars to spend.

So think about this choice -

The pros to buying a G5
(1) First personal computer with 64 bit computing and an OS that supports it (Longhorn, the next version of Windows OS is rumored to be 64 bit, but is still more than a year and a half away.)
(2) Incredible video editing tools at very reasonable prices.
(3) Stable, mature OS based on BSD Unix and a more secure environment as far as worms and virii are concerned.

The cons of buying a G5
(1) Price - a decently-equipped G5 will cost you 2 to 4 thousand dollars.
(2) Less available software - especially games.
(4) You will lose your current library of software, since, obviously, it is written for windows - unless you buy Microsoft's virtual PC, which raises the total price another $200.

The choice you make will depend on your income, current setup, and planned future. Especially because the computer you buy now will make it more expensive to shift in the future.

My recommendation is that you visit and Apple store and play around with a G5, and see how you feel about it. That should help you make the right decision for your computing needs.

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #10
Personally, I use Adobe Premiere Pro on a PC, and from my limited experience with Final Cut Pro, there's very little difference.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #11
Hmm..if the 8.1 upgrade doesn't work on it's own, they seem to have 7.0.1 full there - you could probably download that and then run the upgrade.

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #12
You need to have 8.0 to run the upgrade. Buying 8.0 or 8.1 will only set you back around $20.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Dark Ryu:

Plug and play works much smoother on Macs than on PCs.

All Macs except iMacs and eMacs are incredibly upgradeable. It's true that you can only run Mac OS on a Mac, but Macs have tremendous staying power - I used the same Mac for 9 years.

The main strength of Macs is its graphics and AV support, especially with all of the new programs it's offering at all levels. Macs are often better than PCs with regards to speed, especially a dual-processor Mac.

All video cards are available for both Macs and PCs, both AGP and PCI.

Also, the G5 is an incredible system. Play around with one and listen to Apple's spiel - it's 64-bit, with support for terabytes of RAM (these models are only 8 GB, though), many are dual-processor, and running Mac OS 10.3.2 on it will make it scream.

Once more programs are adapted to take advantage of the new processors, you'll see a marked speed increase.

[ Sunday, March 21, 2004 02:27: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #14
many viruses are designed to take advantage of flaws in windows, of which there are many. There are very few viruses designed to run on Macs

Therefore, :P

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Apprentice
Member # 4110
Profile #15
yes but its very hard to switch from pc to mac not for difference in os/feel but money! its easier to buy some new pieces to an old pc than to buy a whole new setup...
if I sold my current machine I couldnt afford a g5...and the only time I will upgrade again is to 64bit
will I have enough money to in the future...who knows but you evil people are corrupting me with your mac ways
btw I started using litestep not too long ago and I like it much better than the standard explorer shell

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
Well, you'll have to get a new computer eventually. We're just giving you something to think about when you do.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 720
Profile #17
Often times, concerning software, Mac versions of it do exist, it just that you'll be hard pressed to find any of it in a store (unless it's an Apple Store). You'll probably want to shop for the software online. The only real difference is the shipping cost of the items you purchase (like everything else you buy online, of course).

--------------------
-Daravon
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Zorro:

The pros to buying a G5
(1) First personal computer with 64 bit computing and an OS that supports it (Longhorn, the next version of Windows OS is rumored to be 64 bit, but is still more than a year and a half away.)
(2) Incredible video editing tools at very reasonable prices.
(3) Stable, mature OS based on BSD Unix and a more secure environment as far as worms and virii are concerned.

The cons of buying a G5
(1) Price - a decently-equipped G5 will cost you 2 to 4 thousand dollars.
(2) Less available software - especially games.
(4) You will lose your current library of software, since, obviously, it is written for windows - unless you buy Microsoft's virtual PC, which raises the total price another $200.

First 64-bit is Longhorn? Funny. I could've sworn it was XP: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/

The only reason Macintosh has less viruses is because it isn't as widely used as Windows is. Just look at all the bugs being found in Linux now that it is being used more and more. If enough people started using Macs, then more and more problems would be found. Oh and I think the NT line (includes 2000 and XP) was based off of Unix to some degree.

$2000-4000 for a computer is not bad compared to the Silicon Graphics systems that run well over that. Plus if you do graphics stuff it would be worth it.

Virtual PC for $200. Not too bad considering the cost of buying a separate computer to run Windows.
Apprentice
Member # 4129
Profile #19

Appple hardware is based on the IBM PowerPC. It's a 64 bit Chip had has been around a lot longer than Intel even has thought of the idea of 64 bits! (They finally admited that they need to make a 64 bit chip after AMD ate their lunch! -- and the IA64 is still a joke... the current version is a dog, and the IA64 with "Alpha Inside" (the technology Intel bought from Digial/Compaq) isn't due now until 2006.)

It depends upon which case you get if you can add cards or not.

Mac OS X is a Unix based operating system. The core system is called Darwin, is open source, and is based on FreeBSD.

Anything you can run on Unix (let alone Linux) has probably already been ported to OS X via the Fink and Darwin Ports projects. Fink tends to be command line only, while Darwin implements things with the Aqua GUI.

If you are set on running Linux, there are any number of ports which run on the PowerPC chip.

>I dont know much so forgive me if I am wrong
>Also I wouldnt know how to rate macs, I use the pc mainly for >video editing which is cpu intensive
>I currently have a p4 3 GHz 800 MHz FSB cpu with HT, what >kind of cpu do mac use

The current PowerPC G5 chips are used in the third most powerful SuperComputer at the University of Virginia. The first version of the machine used stock G5 "deskside" units. The current version (they have just finished swapping them out and you can buy the old units from MacMall) uses the new Xserve G5, which is a 1U rackmount server.

Pick your favorite -- both ATI and nVida support OS X.

However, you don't even need to go that far. I use my Sony Digital Video Camera connected to an 800 mhz G4 via FireWire. Granted, I 'm not doing Pro work, just Prosumer.

Don't forget -- Pixar is owned by Jobs.

--------------------
T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com