How do you make a party?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: How do you make a party?
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #0
I've always wondered how other fans make their party's.

Poll Information
This poll contains 30 question(s). 14 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=ZztrptvQmtpt"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=ZztrptvQmtpt"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
WWJD?
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #1
The "custom or premade" question shouldn't be considered a yes/no question. Not a bad poll, though.

My characters are named after characters in the Pendragon series and they are about level fifty. I don't really play Blades anymore, but they were a pretty nice party. Not too terrible and not too perfect.

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
I use two basic party designs: a "balanced" party with tool use, nature lore and potion making, for scenarios where I expect to be able to use those things, and an "assault" party that focuses purely on combat skills. Both are pretty similar, with one fighter (usually melee, sometimes pole if it's a scenario like Exodus where I know polearms are better), two archer/priests (either bows or slings, depending on the scenario) and one mage/priest. All my parties come straight out of the HLPM at an appropriate level for the scenario I'm playing; I don't carry them over between scenarios.

[ Sunday, March 18, 2007 14:16: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #3
This is how I make my parties:
1st character: Human (occaisonally slith) warrior with a 0% xp bonus. Has high pole weapons, endurance, defense, strength, assasination, and quick strike. Does most of the hand-to-hand fighting.
2nd character: Nephil archer with nimble fingers and sickness prone. Has high dexterity, endurance, tool use, bows, melee weapons, and sharpshooter. Does some hand-to-hand and stand back shooting.
3rd character: Human priest with sluggish and something else. High intelligence, priest spells, potion making, luck, and arcane lore.
4th character: Human mage with sluggish and natural mage. High intelligence, mage spells, magery, luck, and some thrown missles.
I spread everything else evenly.

--------------------
WWJD?
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #4
Sluggish has got to be the worst trait you can give. I prefer Brittle Bones for my non melees. Non melee characters shouldn't be hit with a physical attack more than once in a fight anyway.

Here's an interesting character concept: Nephilim: Divinely Touched, Completely Inept. Give a few points in defense and thrown missile, then go buck wild and put all points into dexterity and some in endurance (to counter magical spells). Your nephilim will end up almost impossible to hit with physical attacks, rendering him a better tank than you could make with a high HP warrior. Also, if you give this Nephilim luck and lifesaving items, he'll probably never die.

Edit: The only time he'd probably have trouble is in TM scenarios during boss fights.

[ Sunday, March 18, 2007 17:39: Message edited by: Enraged Slith ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:

Sluggish has got to be the worst trait you can give. I prefer Brittle Bones for my non melees. Non melee characters shouldn't be hit with a physical attack more than once in a fight anyway.
Fun fact: Brittle Bones also applies to non-physical damage, so it's bad even for spellcasters (especially if you're in a TM scenario where bosses like to hit random PCs for unblockable damage). If you're going to take a negative trait, take Completely Inept; it's nowhere near as bad as the name makes it sound.

quote:
Here's an interesting character concept: Nephilim: Divinely Touched, Completely Inept. Give a few points in defense and thrown missile, then go buck wild and put all points into dexterity and some in endurance (to counter magical spells). Your nephilim will end up almost impossible to hit with physical attacks, rendering him a better tank than you could make with a high HP warrior.
Have you actually tested this at high levels on Torment? I have my doubts about how long it can be made to work for. If you can still make it work in Exodus, I'll be impressed.

[ Sunday, March 18, 2007 19:41: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #6
I use a simple arrangement of two fighters and two spellcasters. The second fighter does the traps and locks.

One spellcaster majors as a Priest and minors as a Mage, eventually goes up to level 8 in Mage spells. While the other majors as a Mage and minors as a Priest. This makes allowance for one spellcaster being stuck in a forcecage or otherwise incapacitated.

I also give the front two characters at least one level of Priest spells so that they can heal themselves if needed, valuable at low levels. Frees up the spellcasters to cast offensive spells. (In the Avernum games I gave them 3 levels of Mage so that they could cast Haste at level 3 and counteract slowing effects.)

Traits are usually Elite Warrior, Nimble Fingers, Divinely Touched and Natural Mage. I don't know that there is a lot of point bothering with the Divinely Touched trait anyway.