Contest Judging Registration

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Contest Judging Registration
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #25
If you need me for BoE as well as BoA, I suppose I can do it. I'm just not as experienced with BoE.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #26
quote:
Originally written by BainIhrno:

We really do need more judges. Looking over, if Redwall does advance, Salmon would be the only judge for Best Scenario.
Even with other judges, mine will be the only opinion of note.

:P

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #27
Time is money. The deadline has passed. If I am to judge then I need to know where the scenario submissions are being hosted, what are the expectations for critical commentary, and if there are any "deadlines" for scoring submissions. I've avoided playing entrants, except as a beta tester, so as to not color my experience if final tweaks were being made. For this reason I suspect that it will take some time for judging to occur, and want it to happen soon. It will be impossible after the 22nd, but possible again after 2007 begins.

--------------------
quote:

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

I need to know where the scenario submissions are being hosted
Well, there's always Tyran's site.

quote:
what are the expectations for critical commentary
quote:
Scenarios in each category will be given a score from 1-10 based on quality, 1 being lowest and 10 being highest. The decision criteria is generally up to the individual judge so long as he/she is consistent where possible. The exception is that a judge cannot favor either BoE scenarios over BoA scenarios or vice versa, each must be judged on it's merits.
According to the official rules, in the first round, you give a number. That's it. In the final round, you discuss.
quote:
and if there are any "deadlines" for scoring submissions.
I was wondering about this, too. Probably mid-month-ish, I suspect, but I don't know.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #29
I'd say keep an eye on Olympia. When they post the details, that's where it'll likely be.

I have all the scenarios on my site. Some might have been changed since I downloaded them, but I just downloaded Dilecia, Where the Rivers Meet, Redwall, Exodus, and Embers of Rebellion within the last couple days. If you want to be sure, I have links to all available BoA author sites underneath my downloads. Rats Apleanty and Magus of Cattalon both take you right to Smoo's site (cause he edits them alot :P ).

The deadline will probably be at least a month, but if you don't have them done by then you will be constantly pestered until you do.

[ Friday, December 01, 2006 11:47: Message edited by: Jewel ]

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #30
I hit quote instead of edit. Sorry.

[ Friday, December 01, 2006 11:34: Message edited by: Jewel ]

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #31
To restate my central point, I find it exceedingly important that all judges be reviewing the exact same version of a scenario. I would suggest that having Shadow Vale as the official download site for the contest would make judging a lot more even. I would also like to know who is in charge. Despite all the hard word stareye has expended in getting this thing going, there may be more appropriate leaders than an entrant. Drakefyre maybe? He seems to have some authority.

--------------------
quote:

Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Orignially written by Spent Salmon:
I would suggest that having Shadow Vale as the official download site for the contest would make judging a lot more even.
Forgetting something Salmon? Like that there's a few BoE scenarios in this contest and therefore can't be hosted? Or that there's non-scenario utilities that aren't hosted there?

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #33
quote:

quote:
I would suggest that having Shadow Vale as the official download site for the contest would make judging a lot more even.
Forgetting something Salmon? Like that there's a few BoE scenarios in this contest and therefore can't be hosted? Or that there's non-scenario utilities that aren't hosted there?

It is altogether too likely that there is some technical issue I'm overlooking. Do BoE and BoA scenarios/utilities become inbred if they inhabit the same server? Is there some technical failing of Tyranicus would would render his mad web skillz useless if asked to create a special area for the contest? So, please do explain how this suggestion of mine is impossible, and provide your own suggestion for a hosting site.

--------------------
quote:

Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #34
I was under the impression that you were just talking about the database Tyran already has. In the past, entrants would be hosted on Olympia's site, which TM has control of.

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #35
quote:

quote:

quote:

It is altogether too likely that there is some technical issue I'm overlooking. Do BoE and BoA scenarios/utilities become inbred if they inhabit the same server? Is there some technical failing of Tyranicus would would render his mad web skillz useless if asked to create a special area for the contest? So, please do explain how this suggestion of mine is impossible, and provide your own suggestion for a hosting site.

On the contrary, I would be more than happy to do just that.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #36
If we feel like it, we can just require that designers edit their registration posts to include a link to the preferred download location. In that way, the registration thread would become the database.

In the past, we've required that designers actually submit their scenarios to someone by the contest deadline, which is how we were able to put up those Olympia pages of entrants. We didn't do that this time.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #37
quote:

In the past, we've required that designers actually submit their scenarios to someone by the contest deadline.
This is central to the issue as well. Without a submission, scenarios can be worked upon until the judging is completed, submitted to some arcane hosting site, and that can lead to all sorts of confusions when the final results are posted.

It's tough enough to get a level playing field without having this level of uncertainty. I've downloaded a handful of scenario zip files, but until I'm ceratin they are the right ones I'm not going to be bothering.

Tyranicus - If you could host a special 8th contest page with the various files that are appropriate, that would be great. You are an impartial, yet easily bribable, site. I noticed that your BoA database was current as of 11/30. Could your uber-fast connection support the additional traffic related to the upload and download of several utilities and BoE scenarios? If so, that would be fantastic and a great help.

--------------------
quote:

Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #38
It is finished.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #39
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

It is finished.
It seems that the Artifact Hall link (Windows) is broken. What gives?

--------------------
quote:

Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #40
Excellent work, Tyran.

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #41
quote:

quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

It is finished.
It seems that the Artifact Hall link (Windows) is broken. What gives?

I typed the link wrong, that's what gives. :rolleyes:

It is now fixed. You know, you could have downloaded that from the BoA database. :P

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room

Pages