Custom Graphic Problems

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Custom Graphic Problems
Warrior
Member # 6846
Profile #0
Recently I started adding custom objects to my scenario and everything seems ok, apart from three things:

1. The display graphic of character 0 (1st person in the party) doesn't load any more. I never touched the character graphic yet now there is only a black square where my character used to be. I can change the character graphic to another within the game and it will work fine, but it's a hassle and I can't find out why it has a problem.

2. I created a custom wall graphic by first importing wall 4 and then loading the new custom graphic. Then I used te_second_icon with te_second_icon_offset_y = -35 to add another wall on top and this is where it all went wrong.
In addition to the second icon graphic, stone walls and doors appear at the same elevation. How do I get rid of these?

3. I used import = 225 to create a chair facing north with te_light_radius = 3 (don't ask). It seems to have imported the chair graphics, but not the properties. The useful thing about chairs is that you should actually be able to sit down on them...

EDIT: Grammar

[ Tuesday, March 07, 2006 09:23: Message edited by: Pyrulen ]

--------------------
"Build a man a fire, and he´ll be warm for a day; set a man on fire, and he´ll be warm for the rest of his life."
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Okay, I think I see some problems:

1. Have you tinkered with the Character Graphics file in the BoA Files folder at all? Otherwise, I can't see what would cause this.

2. I don't quite get what you mean... did you make a new set of walls? A screenshot would probably help with this one.

3. Don't mess with the chairs. Copying them never works correctly. It'd be easier to just put down a regular chair, then put invisible light sources around it.

EDIT: For some reason I quoted the post...

[ Tuesday, March 07, 2006 09:31: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 6846
Profile #2
1. Looked at it, didn't tinker with it. The weirdest thing is that the missing character graphic is still there.

2. Front View
IMAGE(http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/Pyrulen/screenshot1.jpg)
Back View:
IMAGE(http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/Pyrulen/screenshot2.jpg)
I have no idea what's going on here.

EDIT: Could it be something to do with the y offset value (too low perhaps)? Maybe this is the result of the two graphics colliding...

3.Ok, that's annoying - there's no space around the chairs (see screenshot).

[ Tuesday, March 07, 2006 10:09: Message edited by: Pyrulen ]

--------------------
"Build a man a fire, and he´ll be warm for a day; set a man on fire, and he´ll be warm for the rest of his life."
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #3
For that wall, try setting te_cutaway_second_icon to be a blank graphic and see if that can help.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Warrior
Member # 6846
Profile #4
I tried that but they still don't go away. Maybe I should scrap the idea of an accessable backstage altogether.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
If you don't need a backstage, it'd be easier not to have one.

Have you made sure that all of your custom graphics are numbered between 500 and 600? This might account for messing up the graphic of the first character, if not.

As far as getting lighting around the chairs, you could place lights in the editor (so that the whole area is lit) and then change them to chairs in the INIT_STATE with a few set_terrain calls. The light will stay, but the room will have chairs. (The HLPM does something like this.)

[ Tuesday, March 07, 2006 12:44: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
By the way, since you seem to be a talented custom graphics designer, we'd really appreciate it if you were to submit your graphics to the Louvre.

(Mods, shouldn't there be a link to the Louvre in the forum header?)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 6846
Profile #7
What can I say? I strive for realism, but in this case it seems I'll have to compromise backstage access. Then again, it's important because there will be countless other times when this problem could happen again.

After checking the graphics file numbers I noticed that G1650 (the lost graphic) shared the file name with a custom graphic in the character graphics folder - problem solved :) .

I didn't realise that you can't just add 1 to the number of the last file in each folder...

Concerning the chairs, my initial aim was to use the set_terrain call to change the light producing chairs to normal ones (thus dimming the lights in the audience). Chairs were the only objects available to keep the center of the room lit. Good idea, but not helpful in my case (unless there is some way to dim the light left behind).

Two reasons my graphics have not been submited to the Louvre:

1. They are poor quality, I did them in 5 minutes on paint.

2. They are incomplete, I would rather submit them when the collection looks half decent.

Thanks for the comments and advice.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Designer FAQ, Q4. There's no way to change town lighting within a town. If your chairs were light-producing, the room would be lit even after they were removed.

The best workaround for this situation is probably to use a move_to_new_town to get the party to an identical-looking room in a town without the lights.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Warrior
Member # 6846
Profile #9
Good idea, sounds like a lot of work. I'll get round to it sometime...

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Pyrulen:

sounds like a lot of work.
Make good use of the "import town" feature. Other than that, it's just a few move_to_new_town calls, and everything else is the same.

Bahs does this several times.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
A word of warning: back up your scenario before using Import Town. Sometimes it fails badly.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 6846
Profile #12
Considering that I'm slightly obssessive about backing up my files anyway, that shouldn't be a problem ;) .

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

A word of warning: back up your scenario before using Import Town. Sometimes it fails badly.
Did Jeff ever fix the Import Town bug for importing large towns? I know the 3D editor fixed it, but Jeff's?

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.