Cutscene clumsiness and other problems

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Cutscene clumsiness and other problems
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
I made this cutscene, which works fine, except for the ending. You are supposed to go to town 29, but it doesn't happen! What could have gone wrong? I'm sorry for the screen stretching, but I'm to lazy to remove overlong sentences.

EDIT: Code remove because it wasn't necessary anymore.

[ Monday, January 02, 2006 01:08: Message edited by: Thralni, chicken god prophet ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Remember, you can only call move_to_new_town if the party activates the special encounter by stepping on a blue special rectangle. If you call it from a terrain script, a creature script, the START_STATE, or anything else except a special rectangle, it won't work.

By the way, including yourself as a character in your scenario isn't classy.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #2
*mumbles irritatedly* hmpf. I know what to do about it, but it still is irritating.

Actually, i chose the username "Thralni" only after I started with this scenario. its not that I made the scenario and thought "Oh, I need a bad guy! I'll choose me SW boards username as his name!", no, it was like this: "Hmmm... A SW boards username? hmmm... what to take... I got it! I'll use my favorite scenario's badguy name! Thralni!"

I only have the feeling now, that I actually told much to much about thwta this scenario is about. *Mublus irritatedly*

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
Now that all works, I have a problem with entering a town. When you step on the special rectangle in one town, you should end up in the other town, but it deosn't happen. Well, it happens, but not as it should be. the party doesn't appear on the map, and the playing screen turns black (so not the whole screen, only where you should see the party). why does this happens (And by the way, we are talking about town 30 here, is there a limit to towns? i hope not, as that will mean I have 12 towns to many).

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #4
Odd. Assuming no bugs, the town limit is 200. Might want to check the coding of the move_to_new_town call again just to be sure that's all square. The next thing to do is post a screenshot as the error seems quite odd and I am not sure exactly what is going on.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
I've had this happen, for reasons that I could never really track down. Reloading much earlier saves or starting over tended to fix it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
Yes, that's what I thought would help, kelandon. The rpoblem then, is that I'll have to go through my whole scenario again, and I just don't feel like it. I guess I'll have to anyway. *i, I'll post a screenshot later.

EDIT: Um, how the hell do I make a screenshot on a Mac while playing BoA?

[ Sunday, January 01, 2006 02:30: Message edited by: Thralni, chicken god prophet ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
I restarted the scenario, but the fault was still there. I have no clue of what it can be whatsoever. Will it help if I post the scripts of the culprit town?

And no, I still don't know how to take a screenshot on a Mac (Mac OS 9.2).

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:

And no, I still don't know how to take a screenshot on a Mac (Mac OS 9.2).
Apple key + Shift + 3 (captures full screen)
Apple key + Shift + 4 (lets you select a part of the screen)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
Thanks Ephesos, here is a screenshot of the problem. this in town 30: Trash pits.

IMAGE(http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/Thralni/boaproblem.jpg)

As you can see, you are in the town, you can every function you want (pick up itms, eter combat mode) except just walking. You also don't appear on the map and the screen is black.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
Are you sure you're sending the party to valid coordinates? It looks like you might be sending them to a location inside the walls or outside the town boundaries or something. And if the coordinates in the script itself are correct, are you sure there are enough non-blocked floor spaces in the part of town where they're being sent to for them to actually be placed there?

[ Monday, January 02, 2006 01:04: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
That's what I thought to at first, but I doublechecked everything and it seemed to be fine, Unless the editor's coordinates don't match the coordinates of the game, which seems very strange and highly unlikely. Can be coused by the amount of move_to_new_towns I had in the script? i couldn't find another way to let cutscene stop, without the party ending up again on the place where they started the cutscene by stepping on a special.

Kelandon, is this the same problem as you had?

EDIT: yes, they also have enough space for as I can tell. There is this corridor, sort of tunnel, in which the party should appear. Also, if the party accidentely gets placed outside of that tunnel, on the wrong side of the walls, then you should still see thr party, right?

[ Monday, January 02, 2006 01:16: Message edited by: Thralni, chicken god prophet ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
Well, change the coordinates to somewhere else relatively nearby within the same town, or knock down a few walls to create a bit more space, and see if that works. BoA's party-placement code is picky sometimes.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
The problem I had didn't involve wrong coordinates. There are things that will cause BoA's screen to go black like that that don't involve surrounding the party with blackness.

I really can't remember what these things were, though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #14
is it advisable to contact Jeff about this, or should I wait until there will be more reactions from other designers? (Or is there a webpage where I can find information?)

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
You may as well post the relevant state from the town that the party comes from, and the INIT_STATE from the town that the party enters. Also mention the town sizes of both towns.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
The town the party's being sent into looks like a small town, judging by the automap.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #17
IT WORKS! I don't know what happened, maybe you were right, thuryl. I made a big change in the place the party ends up in. instead of a narrow tunnel leading into the trashpits, I made the same tunnel, but as if a part was blasted away becasue of the chamicals that spill into it from the laboratories you just came out. i also moved some special rectangles and unblocked certain places which were previously blocked. i also changed the location the party appears in. now it works. I thank you all.

By the way, the INIT_STATE of both towns are empty. there's only something in the START_STATE's. The town you leave is 48x48, the toen you enter 32x32.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #18
Now that town works, I have problems getting out of that town. For some reason, the game places you at a totaly differet spot then it should. the code:

beginstate 10;
move_to_new_town(29,58,40);
break;

beginstate 11;
move_to_new_town(29,53,40);
break;
For some reason, the game puts you (when stepping on special 10) on spot 7,26.

This is the code of town 29, the town you are supposed to go to. the states 10 and 11 of town 29 are also moce_to_new_town calls. the strange thing is, that the game takes the town of the script of town 30, but the coordinates of the townscript of town 30. the code of town 29 is:

beginstate 10;
move_to_new_town(30,7,26);
break;

beginstate 11;
move_to_new_town(30,6,20);
break;
So the game takes the townnumber of town 30: so town 29. then it takes the coordinates of town 29: 7,26. This causes tha player to find himself on spot (29,7,26). Why is this happening?

[ Monday, January 02, 2006 10:14: Message edited by: Thralni, chicken god prophet ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #19
Do you have lots of room to place the party. Try making the point of entry larger, if that is narrow or otherwise small. Otherwise, experiment with different coordinates a bit.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00