Editing the editor?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Editing the editor?
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #0
I read some much earlier threads where people were talking about editing the resources in the *.exe file on the Windows version so that they could implement music.

I have an inquiry into something similiar: is it possible to replace the *.wav in the *.exe using the same method, without breaking anything?

I placed a 0.08 second soundless *.wav over the offending resources, and while the editor seems to work, I can't be sure that it won't corrupt my work.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
The editor can be changed because we have source code. However, the game itself cannot. To add music would require modification to both, or at very least the sound files that come with the game.

The only possible may I could see to implement music would be to change one of the ambient sounds in the appropriate file to the music you want. The answer is to try it with a toy scenario and if it works, great. If not, no loss.

At any rate, Spiderweb will NOT host your scenario if you do this.

[ Sunday, December 04, 2005 06:56: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #2
Actually, *i, he's talking about making a soundless editor. We had one of those for BoE (which we're not really supposed to talk about >_>), too.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
Oops, misread your topic. Yes, it is possible then.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #4
If you want to remove the sound from the editor, just take out all the sound related code (mostly in sound.cpp) before compiling. You don't have to remove the resources, but you can if you want to. Just edit the resource file before compiling.
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #5
Damn. The thought of compiling anything sends chills down my spine - I may be able to learn a scripting language in less than 24 hours, but that doesn't mean I have the prerequisite knowledge for dealing with 'real' programming languages.

If I offered a token gesture of appreciation, would someone compile a soundless editor for the x86 platform?

--------------------
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #6
I'll build it when I get the chance, which will probably be when I can get at the code. Sourceforge seems to be down at the moment.

EDIT:

Built it. Just need to know where to send it.

[ Monday, December 05, 2005 15:19: Message edited by: KernelKnowledge12 ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #7
My email address is: xoid (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thank you very much, KernelKnowledge12. This will be of great assistance in keeping what little is left of my sanity.

--------------------