Scenerio Hub

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Scenerio Hub
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #0
Reading over the FAQ again and looking at Jeff explaining why he wants to limit scenerios to 100 towns.

Would it be a possibility to have a sort of scenerio hub?. Where you could link several of your scenerio's to this hub scenerio.

Something like when you get on a boat, a teleporter or go through a mountain pass it will load up the linked scenerio (or if you havent downloaded it you get a message like "the pass has been blocked by land slides, download scenerio C to clear it" etc). Or will scenerios only be able to be a series, one directly after the other.

Im not sure if my idea would work because im not sure how special items and abilities will be kept track of from scenerio to scenerio (if they can be kept track of that is)

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
No, it won't be possible. Special items, abilities, and SDF's cannot be transferred. Each scenario will have to be complete as far as those go, which means the best connection you can get is sequels or prequels.

—Alorael, who supposes someone may find a better way to do it once BoA is out. Judging only from BoE, that's the likely limit.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
Except the limit is actually going to be 200 towns. Jeff got a little more accomodating.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #3
Since I am not a programmer, I do not understand the difficulties behind making an unlimited number of slots for something. I always wanted an unlimited number of terrain slots so I could make many different types of damaging floors with different graphics. Is this some limitation involving the definition of where the game looks for information or something? Like how scripts won't run if you don't define an end and make two beginnings?

EDIT: I'm beginning to think that this has more to do with allocating memory for the game beforehand, but can someone clarify this for me?

[ Saturday, September 20, 2003 18:15: Message edited by: Keep ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #4
Thought I had read him saying that Drakefyre. Which should be plenty for even the epic scenerios (if people ever manage to finish them). Or for one of my earlier ideas about having random dungeons. But still the linked scenerios could be something to look at when BoA comes out.

Keep, I think its mainly the difficulty and time of programming that would stop Jeff from trying unlimited stuff, but im pretty new to programming my self.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Well, let's look at Blades of Exile as our example. In BoE, there is a maximum of 256 terrain, item and monster slots. This is because there are 8 bits (binary digits) used to define each terrain, monster and item, and the maximum number of things you can uniquely define with 8 bits is 2^8, i.e. 256.

At this point you may well say "why not use 16 bits (you have to use a multiple of 8 bits to store a number), so we can have 65536 different terrain slots?" Well, the problem with that is that it's very unlikely that most of those slots will be used, so every scenario file would be padded out with 60000+ terrain, item and monster slots that aren't used, which would take up exorbitant amounts of space. To prevent them from taking up space, Jeff would have to rewrite the way the game handles all these objects, which he's far too lazy and stubborn to do.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
Jeff did say that there would be a lot more terrain and monster slots than in BoE.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #7
I suppose my assumption was correct. But couldn't the game allocate memory and change the identification tags according to how much is actually needed? I think this is how many games do it. This is a virtually unlimited way of using memory, since you won't be adding more information while you are playing.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #8
*sighs, bites his tongue*

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Iabrochium:

Well, let's look at Blades of Exile as our example. In BoE, there is a maximum of 256 terrain, item and monster slots. This is because there are 8 bits (binary digits) used to define each terrain, monster and item, and the maximum number of things you can uniquely define with 8 bits is 2^8, i.e. 256.

At this point you may well say "why not use 16 bits (you have to use a multiple of 8 bits to store a number), so we can have 65536 different terrain slots?" Well, the problem with that is that it's very unlikely that most of those slots will be used, so every scenario file would be padded out with 60000+ terrain, item and monster slots that aren't used, which would take up exorbitant amounts of space. To prevent them from taking up space, Jeff would have to rewrite the way the game handles all these objects, which he's far too lazy and stubborn to do.

Why pad it with 60k+ slots? Just have it check to see what slots have been modified and save those.

As an alternative, he could also use zlib (ZIP) or libbzip2 (BZIP) to compress the files. 60k+ slots (empty ones would be identical) would compress quite nicely. ;)