Creating Spells

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Creating Spells
BANNED
Member # 4943
Profile #0
What is the process of making spell-like abilities and the like?

--------------------
I start this off, without any words.
I got so high, I scratched till I bled.
Love myself, better then you.
I know it's wrong, so what should I do?
Warrior
Member # 3082
Profile #1
Depends on what you mean. However, it undoubtedly involves scripting.
To give a creature such an ability, you can hardcode it into the creature script. There are several examples of this in the 4 basic scenarios.
Read the code for abilnpc (any) and t7maestro (Diplomacy with the Dead).
Special abilities for characters are coded into the scenario script. You initialize them in LOAD_SCEN_STATE, then you have them call a state later on for the actual ability. I know there's an example in the Za-Khazi Run.
For an item, you'll have to use the special item abilities which let them call scenario states. Then you script the ability, give your characters the item, cross your fingers and start debugging it. Babysitting contains some examples of this.
I hope this helps. Otherwise, you may find yourself digging through the appendix to find the calls you need. Good Luck.

EDIT: And, while I'm at it, I should welcome you to the boards here, SmirfOfDoom. So, Welcome.

[ Tuesday, September 07, 2004 15:48: Message edited by: Dark Elf ]
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #2
Hey Smirf guy thing.

Terribly sorry for the lateness guys, but I've been a tad busy. What what.

I can't tell from the text, but maybe you wanted to make a new spell for a party? You can't technically do it, but I have found a loop hole.

Say you want to give the party the ability to make quickfire like in Exile. What you could do is make a special ability that places quickfire on a target specified by the group. Obviously they wouldn't be able to carry the spell through scenarios, but you could have a go.

Otherwise, their is no way. If you meant for baddies etc, just ignore this.

And welcome once again!

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

BANNED
Member # 4943
Profile #3
Well, Thank you for welcoming me, most of what you guys said covered my question. Unfortunately I was hoping to be able to edit spells, and spell-like abilities. (They really should have thrown in those and the ability to modify/create races.) But I think I have a pretty good idea on the spell-like abilities now. Thanks.

--------------------
I start this off, without any words.
I got so high, I scratched till I bled.
Love myself, better then you.
I know it's wrong, so what should I do?