Personality problems

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Personality problems
Apprentice
Member # 4867
Profile #0
I have two problems that I suspect may be related. Firstly, characters' names are not coming up in dialogue as they should. For instance, if I use a wizard character and give him the following dialogue script:

begintalknode 1;
state = -1;
personality = 100;
nextstate = 1;
question = Merlin";
text1 = "Hi there.";

Then when I speak with him, the name "Wizard" is still displayed at the top of the dialogue box. However, I can still give charadcters proper names by defining them in the town script.

My second problem has to do with action = INTRO. It works just fine when talking with the first character in my scenario, but after that, when I try to speak with a character with a completely different personality who also uses action = INTRO, I get text5. The game clearly thinks I've spoken to them before. I know both of them have distinct personalities. What could I be overlooking?
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #1
you have to name your characters in the town scripts init_state like this:

set_name(6,"Marc");

6 is the creature number in the upper left in the editor.
the name in the dialogue script is not for naming the character, i think just for you to remember whose dialogue this is.

don't know anything about the action = INTRO, cause i didn't have used this by now. sorry.

--------------------
www.bigblue.de.gg BoA graphics and more
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #2
Ugh, there is a mismatched quote on the Merlin line.

It should be "Merlin", not Merlin".

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #3
I find it amusing that someone calling himself Roderick Glossop starts a topic called Personality Problems. :P But then, that was probably intentional.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Apprentice
Member # 4867
Profile #4
To bigblue: I have been using this method of naming, and it's been working fine. But the manual had led me to believe that the naming in the dialogue script would work, also. If you don't believe it does, then maybe nothing is wrong on this front. There still may be something wrong with my use of action = INTRO, though.

To Garrison: I just typed this in to the window just now, so that's not the problem in my actual code. I still feel silly, though.

To The Creator: Mad props for catching the reference. I'm sure help is available; they tell me Jeeves isn't the only thinker in the Wooster home!
Warrior
Member # 286
Profile #5
The manual is highly misleading about the name thing.

Not sure about the INTRO thing. Sorry.

--------------------
Z: "I just feel so insignificant."
Psych: "You ARE. You're an ANT."
--Antz
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #6
You have given personalities to the actual people, right?

This next thing is about the states in dialogue, and it is hard to explain in words, and you probably already know this, but I'll endeavor to go ahead anyway.

The scope (where it will have affect) of a 'state' is the entire dialogue script, not its personality. Assume that you don't have any entities that share dialogue nodes. Ent1 has been given states 1-10 for his dialogue. Ent2 will have to continue from state 11 for its dialogue, otherwise the options present in the states from Ent1 will appear in Ent2's dialogue.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 4867
Profile #7
Right. I'm aware that if two people share the same dialogue node, then the game can't tell them apart.

When you say, have I given personalities to the actual people, what does that entail except for the personality = 100 line I have above, and then giving them names in the town script using set_name(1,"Merlin") ? (Assuming, of course, that Merlin was Creature #1)
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #8
you also have to put the personality number in the editor, where you find the creature number and the creature ID. not only in the dialogue script. think he meant this.
even if i can't imagine why three different numbers for one creature/character are necessary!

--------------------
www.bigblue.de.gg BoA graphics and more
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #9
AFAIK, there is only one way to pass a personality to the game, and that is in the Creature dialog box whilst editing towns. The "personality" string in dialogue scripts is just there to let us keep track of who the node is for. In fact, it's usless, if you do all the dialogu or one character at a time.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #10
The personality thing is only useful for the action INTRO. I believe that the idea is that when you talk to a character for the first time, its personality switch is set. When a dialogue node with a corresponding personality the action INTRO in it, the action is performed.

How about you post what you have?

[ Tuesday, August 31, 2004 13:50: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
====
====