Maximum numbers of ...?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Maximum numbers of ...?
Apprentice
Member # 3084
Profile #0
While reading the manual and this forum, I learned the maxima for things like towns (200) and dialogue nodes within a town (also 200).

I think it would be worthwhile to compile a "list of limits": i.e., the most of any type of thing (items, creatures, dialogue node text strings, ...) that can be incorporated into a scenario, town, etc.

Even if these are stated plainly in the manuals or the appendix, it would be useful to have them in one place.

If anyone doesn't know a particular maximum here, then maybe someone else does.  If there's sufficient response to this topic, I'll check back periodically and tabulate the list as it grows.

(Does this sound useful, or just crazy?)  I've looked, but I can't find a comprehensive list like this.

So, if you can think of any counts — and, if you know them for certain, their maxima — please post them here.

[ Friday, August 20, 2004 01:37: Message edited by: Churl ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Max script size is something like 172k. I hit it in the HLPM's scenario script (all those darn shops).

Consecutive executed snippets of code: 32000, or thereabouts. What actually counts as a snippet is not 100% clear; apparently flow controllers are one and their conditions are a second.

Placed monsters per town is (obviously) 80, plus 34 summoned. This is the only maximum I've actually had trouble with.

Joined NPCs is 2.

More as I think of them.

EDIT: String characters, 254 (256 if you include the quotes), except in text bubbles, where it's 38.

Dialog box choices, 3 (obviously).

Custom graphics sheets, 100 (supposedly, although I think you can just ignore this one).

[ Thursday, August 19, 2004 20:51: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #2
70 characters for the little text box in the lower right corner of the playing screen.

I think it is 64000 lines of code for a single script.

Max level is 50 for NPCs.

SDFs can range from 0 to 255, 'short's range from -32767 to 32767.

200 nodes for dialogue, 90 custom states, I think 120 items in a town.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
I think the max level for NPCs is actually 100. Chapter 2.6 under "Level and Statistics" in the docs says this, and I have monsters set up as high as level 100 in the HLPM.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #4
Can you really have only 90 custom states, or only custom sates numbered from 10-99?

I've used states numbered in the 200+ range (had to be called from a 10-99 numbered state)

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Apprentice
Member # 3084
Profile #5
Great!  This is all very useful — I'm especially glad to know the code size/line count caps.

I thought of another obvious one: Maximum number of 48x48 outdoor segments = 100.  (For the sake of completeness, we should include even the well-known limits.)

Sometime this weekend, since I have to get out the door right now, I'll compile what's here into a preliminary list.

If more are posted, they can be incorporated later.

Thanks, everyone … keep ’em coming!

[ Friday, August 20, 2004 01:35: Message edited by: Churl ]
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #6
Maximum height or width of the outdoors, measured in sectors: 50.

No idea why, though, considering that the previously mentioned limit would restrict it to 100 anyway. And both of those are reasonable limits - it's generally agreed that no scenario needs to use that many outdoor sectors.

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.