graphic design contest

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: graphic design contest
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #0
can anyone tell me some more details about it? the olympia link doesn't work, so i can't find out more.
i only figured out, where i should send my graphics, but not in which format (gif/jpg...) and what happens to the graphics? are they published and shared?

--------------------
www.bigblue.de.gg BoA graphics and more
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #1
Im guessing the graphics are shared publicly, these contests are usually used to get artists to start pumping out graphics to use. Which is a good idea.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
GIF is a good format to send graphics in. JPG is a bad idea as it tends to ruin fine detail.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #3
I always thought it was the other way around, as jpg's are used for pictures with numerous colours while gif's where used for minimal colours.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #4
IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/KommandoV/tgm.gif) IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/KommandoV/tgm.jpg)

The left one is in GIF-format. The right one, in JPG. You might want to download them and take a closer look, and you'll see what Thuryl meant with that "JPG ruins detail"-thingy.

No wait, you don't necessarily have to, the JPG one looks screwed enough already. ^_^

Also, yes, the distortion (or whaev) CAN be avoided by using the highest quality compression (see PhotoShop), but that'll, in the long run, not only make slightly good images (compared to good GIFs), but they're sizes would be like double of the sizes of GIFs.

[ Saturday, August 14, 2004 05:33: Message edited by: Manuel the Maleman ]

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #5
JPGs reduce the file size on normal compression, but are designed to be lossy. Not good for detailed graphic files.

GIFs are supposed to be lossless when you only have 256 or less colors. Otherwise it will start to try to make guesses about color. I don't think you'll use that many colors in a single graphic, though. DO NOT use MSPaint for GIF conversion, it only supports the standard 256 colors.

PNG can achieve an even higher level of compression and is lossless at up to 24-bit color.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #6
PNG also makes TM's life a hell, which is why the graphic contest files should be sent as GIFs. Anything else?

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #7
What's wrong with PNGs?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #8
ok, i'm thinking of sending my few custom graphs to TM and to the louvre.
can i sent them as a .sit-file? or does it have to be a .zip?
i'm on mac

--------------------
www.bigblue.de.gg BoA graphics and more
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
PNGs are generally good, but file size can be a little unpredictable and some people can't use them.

TM has a Mac, so .sit should be fine for compression.

[ Saturday, August 14, 2004 14:39: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!