A little idea I had...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A little idea I had...
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #0
Would I be able to create "Escher staircases" in BoA, i.e. staircases that keep going up and up and up (or down and down and down)? If not by just placing the staircase terrain, would there be a way to change the vertical level of the staircase (without the player noticing)?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
Lol, that would be so cool, if you had a staircase that just kept going. Best if there's a counter that goes up every time you go round, and when you figure out how to get out of it, it tells you how many times you ran around in a circle. Nice for a gremlin cave or something else with a weird sense of humor. :D

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #2
You can do that pretty easily. Just set up a soundless teleportation node that jumps the party a few spaces back. Set up the terrain with walls on both sides of the staircase, and the player won't notice that they are going over the same steps over and over again.

But the minimap sortof ruins that. Speaking of which, will there be an option to disable the minimap?

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #3
i'm not sure, but i think in A1 when Fort Remote got trashed the terrain was changed and because of that the automap was blanked (i.e. there's that 'unexplored' solid purple thingy). we should be able to do this in BoA, without the terrain warping...

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
I think that the map blanking is the result of the script eqivalent of an unnoticed stairway node into another town. Not sure though.

[ Sunday, August 17, 2003 00:22: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Sir Motrax of College Applications:

You can do that pretty easily. Just set up a soundless teleportation node that jumps the party a few spaces back. Set up the terrain with walls on both sides of the staircase, and the player won't notice that they are going over the same steps over and over again.
No, no, no, no, one that goes round in a circle. Like that Escher painting (hence calling it an "Escher staircase").

edit:Like this:
IMAGE(http://www.kulichki.com/masha/stuff/citylion/gif/escher.jpg)

[ Sunday, August 17, 2003 08:32: Message edited by: orangutans RULE ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
With some custom graphics, it shouldn't be too hard. I don't know how the height will work, though, so don't count on it.

—Alorael, who would rather count the number of steps taken up the staircase and use them to calculate just how much damage is dealt when you step off. Ascending infinitely can be hazardous.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00