Help our Scenario Designers!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Help our Scenario Designers!
Apprentice
Member # 981
Profile #0
Well, like a number of people, I'm not going to be making scenarios... too much like hard work for my liking :rolleyes: .

However, I have thought of a couple of interesting ideas that could be explored in scenarios:

1) The 'person that follows the party type thing' - as shown by the archer you can get in VoDT. How about an animal pen where you can pay to buy, say a hydra that follows you around to do your bidding?

2) The sneaky-stealth type thing. Have guards that, when they see your party, instead of trying to kill you set an alarm off. This alarm could either be instant end-of-scenario or just signal every guard on the floor over to you.

3) Captured! Like on Rambo: First Blood Part 2, the party is captured and forcecaged in a dungeon where torturers whip them, reducing them to low health. An ally of some kind kills the wizard maintaining the forcecages, leaving the weakened adventurers to fight off the torturers, escape the dungeon, and kill evil Lord Whoever.

Cheers
Stu
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
2) The sneaky-stealth type thing. Have guards that, when they see your party, instead of trying to kill you set an alarm off. This alarm could either be instant end-of-scenario or just signal every guard on the floor over to you.
This was done in Babysitting (although the guards try to kill you as well once they've set off the alarm).

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 4531
Profile #2
Capture sounds intriguing. If you take away the party's equipment, can you give it back to them later? Fighting with sticks, rocks and kitchen knives would be an interesting twist.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
1) NPCs and pets have been explored in BoE. Unfortunately, you still cannot control them in BoA. Their versatility, however, has been improved greatly.

2) Been done before, although can be advanced with the BoA setting with the can_see_party() call.

3) Sort of like Azaklan in At the Gallows?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #4
"Capture sounds intriguing. If you take away the party's equipment, can you give it back to them later? Fighting with sticks, rocks and kitchen knives would be an interesting twist. "

It was to enable this somewhat cliched but still amusing scenario that I added the call take_item_char_item.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Apprentice
Member # 981
Profile #5
My main idea for the captured bit actually came from Wolfenstein 3D/Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Stu
Apprentice
Member # 4486
Profile Homepage #6
Hm. Would it be possible to set targets for the npcs using some custom item? That'd be pretty neat, though I'm still not entirely sure how the npcs' targetting works.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Eric-Ihrno:

If you take away the party's equipment, can you give it back to them later? Fighting with sticks, rocks and kitchen knives would be an interesting twist.
I remember the first time I played through Nethergate three years ago. I had a party of Celts and was summoned to Crone Caverns, and when I got there I had all my stuff taken away and was locked in a subterranean dungeon, forced to use rocks as weapons, banging giant rats and spiders on the head.

I was really annoyed that Jeff had been mean enough to take away all my hard-earned stuff, but immensely grateful when it was given back after you escaped!

So yes, it's a very effective ploy but only if your party has some way of getting the stuff back sooner or later.

Oh, and also in Nethergate there's that time when you loot all the tempting treasure chests in the Test of Ordeal, but when you leave Galag-Trav all that great stuff disappears from your inventory. But in that instance it was the Ordeal's lesson that whatever treasures you pile up you loose, and that they are, in the end, worthless, causing you nothing but pain for no benefit.

EDIT: Said "Galag-Trav," meant "Goagh-Nar." Too many subterranean Fomorian citadels with G- as the first letter and hyphenated in the middle...

[ Monday, June 14, 2004 10:15: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Apprentice
Member # 4535
Profile #8
Heh- I was just playing Nethergate again a while ago. Nothing beats beating rats with sticks. I can still remember my first time going through Nethergate, searching the outside of every city and dungeon looking for hidden goodies and doorways. Jeff really likes hiding things in trash pits.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #9
If I'm not all wrong here, there's a small pile of gold outside every starting town Jeff's ever drawn.

..and that's an obsession for money to me.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Apprentice
Member # 4486
Profile Homepage #10
I hope those piles of coins match the registration fee exactly. Now THAT would be a sweet feature.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #11
Will have to check that one out. :P

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]