BoA Editor Cookbook -- what do you want?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: BoA Editor Cookbook -- what do you want?
Apprentice
Member # 385
Profile #0
Hi guys,

I'm planning to start work on a new version of the BoA Editor Cookbook. If anyone has any suggestions for new "recipes" which they'd like to see added to the cookbook, please let me know. I'm sure I've missed lots of common tasks which people want to do with the BoA editor, so now is the time to put in your requests. I can't guarantee to put in everything that you ask for, but I'm very open to suggestions and ideas...

Oh, I'm currently changing the URL used to access the cookbook. Instead of just having it available as a PDF file, I'm now making it available in PDF and MS Word format, as well as having it available online as an HTML page. Hopefully that'll keep everyone happy.

The latest copy of the cookbook (in all three formats, and with the corrections people have pointed out so far) is now available at:

http://dnet.com/erik/BoA

This will be the "official" home of the BoA Editor Cookbook from now on.

Cheers,

- Erik.
Apprentice
Member # 4229
Profile #1
I would realy like to know how to make quickfire I can't find that anywhere

by the way your curent version is wonderful with out it I don't think I would have ever tryed to use the editor to make my own scenario

--------------------
the neo-mage agent redemption was here
Apprentice
Member # 4229
Profile #2
I would realy like to know how to make quickfire I can't find that anywhere

by the way your curent version is wonderful with out it I don't think I would have ever tryed to use the editor to make my own scenario

--------------------
the neo-mage agent redemption was here
Apprentice
Member # 385
Profile #3
Gidday, Agent.

Thanks -- that's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for: common tasks which I don't have a recipe for. I'll put that on my list -- and if you can think of anything else, please do let me know.
Apprentice
Member # 4096
Profile #4
Okay- This is really basic but here is a question that arose when I first began fiddling with the editor and trying to create landscapes: height is not really explained very well in the docs. They say in more than one place how to change heights but nowhere is there a simple explanation for what the numbers mean. i.e.: is each digit up or down equal to man height? Also, it took some experimenting to realize that the best way to paint a hill is to leave the "hill" terrain at level (9) and then increase the upper part of the hill by one increment at a time. And, apparently 9 is level. And outdoor stairs leading down to a dungeon have to be set at a decreased height- this isn't automatic.

I've since figured this stuff out by experimenting but there is no reason for this not to be explained somewhere. I know there is an auto feature for hills but it would be best to simply explain to people how to do this themselves first.

Sorry if this is too basic.
Apprentice
Member # 385
Profile #5
Hi Magpie,

Sorry if this is too basic.

That's not too basic at all! You're perfectly right: heights are not explained very well in the docs, which makes them confusing -- and a perfect candidate for a recipe in the cookbook. Thanks!
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #6
Well, Erik, I've downloaded your cookbook and was very impressed by it. You do a fine job of explaining many of the editor's features in a way that is comprehensible to those of us less technically minded than we would like!

I especially liked the Defalt Terrain Graphics in the Appendix that shows what the editor's graphics look like in the end result. I've found that immensely helpful.

My requests aren't so much recipes as additional things you could put in this appendix section, so they could be easily consulted.

1. Limitations — a list of the maximum number of stains per town, characters per town, preset/special outdoor encounters, and so on. (Jeff seems to use the phrase "at most" in the docs pretty consistently when discussing maximums, so you can go through the PDFs searching for that phrase. That should save a fair bit of time.)

2. Memory Cells — A list of what all the memory cells do for doors, creatures, traps, terrain scripts, etc. It would be very handy to have all this information in a single easliy-consulted section, as it is difficult to find this info quickly in the the docs that came with the editor.

Just some ideas!

Looking forward to your updated cookbook to see what other yummy recipes you have...
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #7
hey,

how do you make lava burn? when you edit a town with lava it has a little red thingy on the top corner but when i make lava it doesnt do that and my party can walk on it without burning! lol!
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
In the defaults, the left lava (floor 79) has that red dot when you place it. The right one (floor 80) doesn't. The red dot means that it burns. To make a custom floor that does this, use the call fl_special_property(1) in the scenario's custom objects script.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00