move_to_new_town limitation

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: move_to_new_town limitation
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #0
move_to_new_town appears to only work when the party enters one of those blue special rectangles placed in the editor. I tried using it in a terrain script and the START_STATE of a town script. In those cases that fail, it seems to block the party's movement and end the script, without taking them to the other town..

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
start_state... Isn't that the one called when the party enters the town? Couldn't you use variable town entry in that case?

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #2
I've never tried using it from a terrain script, but in a town script, it appears to be one of those things that only works from a user-defined state, and not any of the predefined ones. I started a thread here when I was trying to call it from EXIT_STATE and couldn't make it work.

-spyderbytes

--------------------
-spyderbytes
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
The same was pretty much true in Blades of Exile as well.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #4
Maybe you can use "set_state_continue" to go to another state and then use the call.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Eldiran:

Maybe you can use "set_state_continue" to go to another state and then use the call.
That didn't work, at least for EXIT_STATE (the only one I tried). The way it behaves, I'm guessing the party has already left the town (as far as the engine is concerned) before EXIT_STATE is called.

EDIT: I meant to add that START_STATE is called every turn the party is in the town. INIT_STATE is the one called when the party enters the town. So, no, a move_to_new_town() in START_STATE wouldn't be equivalent to variable town entry.

-spyderbytes

[ Sunday, April 11, 2004 15:41: Message edited by: spyderbytes ]

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Apprentice
Member # 4340
Profile #6
I had hoped to get this to work from STEP_INTO_SPOT_STATE but have had no luck (I'm guessing this is the right way to go about this). I wanted to create a terrain script that could be placed on stairways, ladders, etc to save me from having to create another state in the town script every time I want the party to switch towns.
Apprentice
Member # 4123
Profile #7
I don't suppose anyone has found a way around this limitation. I also wrote a script like that and it really bugs me that I can't use a terrain script for things like going down stairs. Terrain scripts and memory cells would be a lot simpler than writing a new special encounter for ever stairway/ladder.