Difficulty of Bahssikava

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Difficulty of Bahssikava
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #0
I have a level 40 two person party, and I like to play on Torment. One PC is a pole fighter and the other is a mage-priest. The battles in Bahssikava started out as a nice challenge with the drakes and such, but I started to encounter problems soon after.

The altar fight was extremely difficult, but I got through it by using two invulnerability potions. Then I moved on to the nearby temple where the three Slith Avatars are spawned. Am I right in assuming that, in my situation, this fight is basically impossible for me?

Anyway, I turned the difficulty down to easy just to get through the fight. I turned it back up to Torment and in the catacombs, I immediately encounter a trap that spawns 4 Slith Avatars. This was, again, impossible.

If the fights are just going to become more and more difficult from here, is it worth it to continue playing this scenario with a party at this level on Torment?

[ Friday, April 21, 2006 18:24: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #1
Bahssikava marked the first Avernum anything where I had to turn off Torment. I found it very challenging. Don't know how difficult it is after the mines with the demons; I lost my save after that and didn't feel like playing through half the scenario again.

Either change the difficulty or use the HLPM or Character Editor. I know; it's hard to do. Swallow that gaming pride. I find it goes good with salt.

EDIT: Clarity.

--------------------
PUPPETS!
- Elan (OotS)

[ Friday, April 21, 2006 13:14: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Relying heavily on melee and traditional direct-damage spells makes Bahs impossible. Bows make life easier. Simulacrum, Capture Mind, Cloud of Blades, and sometimes some summoning spells make life much easier.

I've never managed to make a duo work out well in BoA, despite loving them in A1 and A2.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #3
My fighter can use a blessed sling for a very modest amount of damage, but that rate of damage is simply not feasible against monsters that have 1000 or more health. You did a thorough job of making Capture Mind useless at least up to the point I am at. Cloud of Blades was the only sensible way to take on the altar fight, and Simulacrum helped me through the Slith Avatars with reduced difficulty. But I went into Bahs right after playing ZKR; I do not have the strongest spells yet. Should I go back and do DwtD?

If I do not have to go back to get stronger, I can live with turning down the difficulty.

[ Friday, April 21, 2006 18:30: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Generally there are ways of making fights easier. Look in the walkthrough for hints for each combat. Others have succeeded with weaker parties than the one you're using.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
Others have succeeded with weaker parties than the one you're using.

But on Torment with 2 PCs? Anyway, I tried to see if there was any non-heroic way to beat the Avatars, and I succeeded. I walked through the secret passage by the altar in combat mode and picked off the avatars one by one as they came in. Not prestigious, but it does get the job done. Then for the 4 Avatars, I just used Cloud of Blades repeatedly and kept reloading to make sure that the Avatars would not be able to rush my spellcaster.

Meh, I will keep going through this. It is a good enough of a scenario to endure.

[ Saturday, April 22, 2006 08:02: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
====
====
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #6
Or just play Canopy, get Adlerauge, and turn every bad guy in your path into minced meat.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #7
:P That comparison hurts my common sense. With Adlerauge you'll get rather shashlik than minced meat.
Nevertheless you should play Canopy. Not only for Adlerauge.

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
This may just be me sucking at Blades, but by the time I got to a level where I could beat Canopy without the editor, Adlerauge was rather overkill than necessary.

TM, your villains are just insane. So are most of your protagonists, of course, but still. :P

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #9
Bahssikava is a lot more "standard" in its combat practices than, say, Canopy-- which is to say that a lot more leveling is involved than tactics. Canopy is more like (although not nearly as good as) Bandits II. Which is to say, Canopy and B2 are really hard, but if you know the tricks to 'em, they're a LOT easier. (Imban managed to beat B2 at level 5, whereas Thuryl beat Canopy at level 20 while on Torment.)

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
I also beat B2 with a level-1 party, remember? :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #11
I think I will play through Bahssikava for a challenge first, though. Its combat for my party is a little ridiculous, but it should help me with other, difficult scenarios.

Actually, for me the problem is not necessarily in the scenario design. I try not to exploit the situation or the AI too much so that my enemies and I are on a more even combat ground. But after reading some of the hints Kelandon provided with the scenario, I figure that if the designer feels it justified to take advantage, then it should be justified for me. That is, if everyone could beat the Avatars in a straight up fight, then I would hate to do anything else.

--------------------
====
====
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #12
I was just level 3 or 4 when I started B2, so it's not really surprising that Thuryl beat it at level 1. I just felt like playing the Bandits "series" in order, despite one being a level-1 scenario and one being a level-25 scenario. :P
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

I try not to exploit the situation or the AI too much so that my enemies and I are on a more even combat ground.
You will not get far in Blades with an approach like this one. Whatever has been designed is exactly what is supposed to be there, so it's fair to exploit anything and everything.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #14
BoA designers haven't had the greatest success with most things, but all BoA combat has been deliberately chosen, whether it be good or stupid. Plus, considering how mind-bendingly tough some scenarios are with normal tactics...

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 7078
Profile #15
i even dont no how to enter the cave. It was blocked and i cant find the way to pass through. Any body can help?

--------------------
Love is smiling with your heart
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
Which cave? Which town are you in?

The Deeps, perhaps?

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #17
A question like that kind of makes me laugh because there are so many blocked passages in the caves of this scenario. Anyway, I thought I would pop in again to say that I have reached the golems and should be very close to finishing this quite difficult of scenarios.

I kept to my vow of not over exploiting the enemies and the difficulty has never been dropped from torment. That is not to say, however, that I did not reload the game gratuitously.

--------------------
====
====