New scenario to beta

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: New scenario to beta
Apprentice
Member # 5294
Profile Homepage #0
I've been sitting on this one for a few months while trying to work out an issue with one of the testors. This is my promised remake of Wiz I (for those old enough to remember the game from A-II days). I'd like to get a few more people trying it out to see if there's a widespread issue or just this guy's PC. It's available from here: Proving Grounds
Don't have a MAC so it's just in PC format, but anyone who wants to try it is welcome. Basically it has been tossing an exception when this one guy tries to go into the dungeon. I've never been able to duplicate the problem so I've just stabbed at what the issue might be. Assuming no one else has problems, I plan to send this on to SW for posting (it won't be available after that point from my webspace).

[Edit] As of 2005-11-08, submitted to SW. As soon as I see it available, the link above will be disabled. The newest version has a fix for the wrapping problems on level 3 and have added additional items from the original.

[ Sunday, November 13, 2005 02:24: Message edited by: MikeS ]
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #1
EDIT: Ah! So it is in the post!

[ Tuesday, October 18, 2005 14:09: Message edited by: Knot Eye ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
For the umpteenth time, scenarios are cross-platform except the graphics, and any beta tester worth his salt can make a .cmg file from your graphics in no time.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #3
What I Like:
1. I like the idea of having to pay to use a training room.

What I Dislike:
1. It's a maze, and is thus almost unbearably boring.
2. The combat is repetative, redundant and repeating.
3. The combat is repetative, redundant and repeating.
4. The plot isn't particularly good.

Is this, by the by, a remake of Wizardry I for the Apple II?

If so, um, why.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by King Evil:

Is this, by the by, a remake of Wizardry I for the Apple II?
quote:
Originally written by MikeS:

This is my promised remake of Wiz I (for those old enough to remember the game from A-II days).
EDIT: Eh, yes, this question was pretty obviously rhetorical.

[ Tuesday, October 18, 2005 09:11: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #5
Man, I know.
My main point was that the game is so crappy that remaking it is a complete waste of time for everyone involved.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #6
I tried. I really did. Some of the horrible repressed memories of high school computer classes returned. You know, where you have to keep looking over your shoulder to make sure the teacher is still asleep. I did find some stuff though.

t0dlg - node 41ish, change tail to tale.
level 2 (or 3, whichever was hollow blocks) wraparound movement from left to right side of screen put my singleton inside a hollow.
Rename the 4th level town to "Fourth Level," unless you meant to say "Forth."

Like TM, I am reminded of why I dislike mazes, and I wonder if the teleport part of Wiz 1 translates well when I can see where I am on a automap. I don't remember Wiz having that feature. But that is probably something that could be resolved with years of therapy.

*this message sponsored by infocom*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Apprentice
Member # 5294
Profile Homepage #7
Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I'm assuming no one has had an unhandled exception getting into the maze?
For those looking for it, a link to download is in the first message.
As far as the remake, I was more interested in trying to see if BOA could be stretched/molded to other game engines. I myself, always enjoyed wizardry (mine was KOD in the computer lab, trying not to get kicked out since those machines were for serious study). Some things are weak in BOA world (wrapping levels seems to want to put players where-ever - level 3 is the worst), no real light control, overhead map meant spinners were useless/un-needed, teleportation traps not all that scary. But, had fun creating the thief, regeneration and balancing code so all was not in vain - which is half the enjoyment of BOA (actually creating something).
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Speaking of this, actually, does anyone know if it's possible to get the old Wiz game for Mac? I had Wiz 1 for god only knows what old computer, and it still runs in Classic mode on this one, but I lost the passcodes that I used to have, so it's useless now.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #9
quote:
For those looking for it, a link to download is in the first message.[/QB]
My bad. :o

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Warrior
Member # 1688
Profile #10
You can download Wizardry 1, 2 and 6 from Macintosh Garden but good luck trying to get them to work.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Wow, it does work! Thanks!

--------------------

Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #12
:rolleyes: I played it.
There are nice designs, e.g. the ruined tower of Werdna, but you cannot do anything except to look at it. There is also no plot. To search an amulet in a maze is not a story; respectively: the story has been replaced by a maze and lacks generally of dramatic technique.

How TM said: the fights are repetitive and boring. Also the mazes: monotonous, straining. Thus I skipped all the possible levels and went directly to Werdna. BTW, how can you leave the maze after defeating Werdna in the dead end? I had to use the editor.
There are some funny surprises though, e.g. the thieves, stealing things from the inventory. But nevertheless ... all the time I thought whether I should continue or not.

If somebody likes hack'n'slay games, this scenario might be a challenge, especially since you can - after delivering the amulet - return to the maze and all the random monsters are back again ^_^
Just as well you could play pacman instead. The thrill might be the same.

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Shock Trooper
Member # 565
Profile #13
Ok perhaps I am the only strange one here but I quite liked it :)
Me being the person I am had to uncover all of the maze, do you know how long that took?????????
But the fights were rather repetitive until you got to the last two levels. Graphics where good, if you have time it would be great to explore the tower and not just see it.

Barmaid cracked me up, typical rebuff most guys get at the pub here

--------------------
If there is no light at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and turn the damm thing on yourself!

people often tell me i've lost my mind, but i tell them i have to have one to lose it!

lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
Apprentice
Member # 545
Profile #14
I actually liked it a lot, too. I'd be happy to play a dressed up version as a BOA scenario. So don't listen to the naysayers, go for it!

Mark Webb, longtime reader, first time poster

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 04:53: Message edited by: mowebb ]
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #15
Where's the Blade Cuisinart? :(
Apprentice
Member # 5294
Profile Homepage #16
Sorry, no Blade Blade Cusinart', Murasama Blade, Lords Garb or some of the other items. I didn't map too many items from the original game - it took a while just to remap the monsters (somewhat) :( . Someday, when I have more time, might try to add in at least some of the more unique items.
To leave after defeating Werdna, there is a little room behind a secret door right outside of Werdna's lair. It has a teleportation floor in one corner that takes you back to the first level by the ladder (similar to the other teleportation floors on the level).
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #17
Something is messed up with the thief script. One just stole an "Unused slot" and when I killed him he possessed a "No Item" with the ? graphic. I appreciate him not stealing the weapon I had stuck in his belly, but I would think he could do better than empty space.

*this message sponsored by vwr scientific*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Apprentice
Member # 5294
Profile Homepage #18
Curious. Never seen that. Makes me wonder if there is a problem with the call 'item_type_in_slot'. Only time the thief even starts to steal is if that call returns something > 0 - should be a number between 1 and 499 if there is an item in the slot selected. I may change the check to use > 0 and < 500 just to be sure. It could be that the slot got corrupted with a value > 499. Though that might prevent the thief from taking wands - I seem to recall the wand type as being > 499 based on the number of charges it had. Thanks for the feedback.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #19
It was a descent scenario. Some repetitive fights. But then its a dungeon. I didn't find any obvious bugs, which was a first compared to a lot of scenarios. So it's not overly complex but easily better than many of the BOA scenarios already released. Go for it. Release the Beast.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #20
http://p080.ezboard.com/fthelyceumfrm32.showMessage?topicID=38.topic

Feel free to rate the scenario here.

--------------------