Halloween (mod help, please)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Halloween (mod help, please)
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #0
[EDIT: Nooooooo!!! I posted this in the wrong board by accident. :( Could a mod kindly move this thread to the General board, please?]

Innocent children's candy orgy?

or

Barely-masked satanic ritual?

or

Immoral marketing demon?

One of the above? All of the above? None of the above? Some of the above?

I've always found it funny that such a macabre (depending on how you look at it) holiday hides behind something so sweet as candy...

From the Wikipedia Halloween page:

quote:
Symbols

Halloween's theme is spooky or scary things particularly involving death, black magic, or mythical monsters.

Commonly-associated Halloween characters include ghosts, witches, bats, black cats, owls, goblins, zombies and demons, as well as certain fictional figures like Dracula and Frankenstein's monster. Homes are often decorated with these symbols around Halloween.
quote:
Religious Viewpoints

The majority of Christians ascribe no doctrinal significance to Halloween, treating it as a purely secular entity devoted to celebrating imaginary spooks and handing out candy. The secular celebration of Halloween may loom larger in contemporary imagination than does All Saints' Day.

The mingling of Christian and pagan traditions in the development of Halloween, and its real or assumed preoccupation with evil and the supernatural, have left many modern Christians uncertain of how they should react towards the holiday. Some fundamentalist and evangelical believers consider Halloween a pagan or Satanic holiday, and refuse to allow their children to participate. In some areas, complaints from fundamentalist Christians that the schools were endorsing a pagan religion have led the schools to stop distributing UNICEF boxes at Halloween.

Other Christians, however, continue to connect the holiday with All Saints Day. Some modern Christian churches commonly offer a "fall festival" or harvest-themed alternative to Halloween celebrations. Still other Christians hold the view that the holiday is not Satanic in origin or practice and that it holds no threat to the spiritual lives of children — being taught about death and mortality actually being a valuable life lesson.

Ironically, considering that most fundamentalist sects are Protestant in nature, many Protestant denominations celebrate October 31 as Reformation Day, which commemorates the October 31, 1517 posting of Martin Luther's Ninety-Five Theses. Many mainline churches and religious schools, particularly Lutheran ones, meld the two holidays without worrying about "Satanic influences."
Your thoughts?

[ Monday, October 10, 2005 05:45: Message edited by: Muji ]

--------------------
"Take time to listen to what is said without words, to obey the law too subtle to be written, to worship the unnameable and to embrace the unformed." -- Lao Tzu
Apprentice
Member # 2312
Profile #1
He, hehehehehe...

Thank you for inspiring us for a new BoA scenario...
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #2
Irrelevant to me since no one celebrates Halloween in Australia. But I throw it in the "harmless fun" box along with Harry Potter.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Frayalitz:

He, hehehehehe...

Thank you for inspiring us for a new BoA scenario...

Sweet! :D

Looking forward to it. ;)

quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Irrelevant to me since no one celebrates Halloween in Australia. But I throw it in the "harmless fun" box along with Harry Potter.
quote:
From my Wikipedia link:
Halloween is a holiday celebrated on the night of October 31, usually by children dressing in costumes and going door-to-door collecting candy. It is celebrated in much of the Western world, though most commonly in the United States, the British Isles, Canada and sometimes in Australiaand New Zealand.
Guess you're just not in the right part of Australia, then. Pity. :(

You're missing out on tons of free candy!!!

--------------------
"Take time to listen to what is said without words, to obey the law too subtle to be written, to worship the unnameable and to embrace the unformed." -- Lao Tzu