Nature Lore & Pathfinder

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Nature Lore & Pathfinder
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #0
Yes, I've used the search function.

Yes, I've read other threads in hopes of answers before making my own.

I've found some, but not enough. So here I am, bugging you with my newb questions again.

About Nature Lore and Pathfinder (as the subject says)... how do they work, exactly? What do they do?

Taken from the in-game descriptions:

Nature Lore
"How much you know about finding your way through the wilderness. Helps you avoid outdoor wandering monsters and navigate through difficult situations. Base value: INT / 4."

Pathfinder
"Pathfinder skill helps you find your way through hostile terrain. Your chance of being poisoned or diseased by swamps and the like is reduced. The more of this skill you have, the better the effect."

Presumably, Nature Lore helps you resist poison/disease/etc. like Pathfinder does ("navigate through difficult situations"), albeit no doubt not as efficiently.

As for avoiding outdoor wandering monsters, taken from this thread:

quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

I have never seen an encounter which could be avoided by Nature Lore in Blades, except in Backwater Calls (and those were special encounters, not the standard "your Nature Lore skill would let you avoid this" message from A3).
Does anybody have some input on that?

Also, from the same thread,

quote:
Originally written by Imban:

There are some encounters in both The Cave of No Return and A Small Rebellion in which Nature Lore is needed in order to get herbs (CoNR) or complete a sidequest (ASR).
That's interesting information. Not something I would have guessed from the in-game description.

So, my questions...

• What are the exact effects of these skills, if anybody knows? (in respect to avoiding harmful terrain, for example)

• How important are these skills to have? What levels should be aimed for? I seem to remember reading somewhere that there's no point raising them beyond level 20 or so.

• Can these skills be concentrated on one character, or should I give at least a bit to all my characters? Granted, I won't be giving all characters some Pathfinder points, but should I still at least give them a few levels of Nature Lore?

• Do you know something about these skills that I haven't mentioned/inquired about? Please do share your knowledge.

--------------------
"Take time to listen to what is said without words, to obey the law too subtle to be written, to worship the unnameable and to embrace the unformed." -- Lao Tzu
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #1
I'm not sure, exactly, but even a small level of Pathfinder lets you walk over poison swamps without coming to harm, most of the time. I'm not sure what Pathfinder level is necessary to stride across lava without coming to harm, but it's possible.

Nature Lore can be checked by specials. While they're not insanely common, scenarios that use Nature Lore checks do exist, as I stated then.

Nature Lore also increases the damage of the Staff of Druids, if you like using that.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #2
Nature Lore also helps in Lord Putidus, right? Gathering potion ingredients? And I think Nature Lore lets you avoid monster parties which are significantly lower-leveled than your own party.

As for Pathfinder, it's probably only good if your characters are having trouble with disease and poison. Raising it just for lava is too obscure.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #3
Raising it for lava isn't very practical, either. You can cross lava using healing spells easily with 0 pathfinder, since lava only hurts you when you move onto it, not when you just stand still on it and heal yourself.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
I don't remember putting in anything about Nature Lore in LP. Certainly not in the default potion-gathering ability, at least. As Imban said, some other scenarios use the skill, though. Canopy has at least one special spell that involves it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #5
I suppose it really up to the scenario designer to make it as useful as they desire.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #6
So, overall, in a very simplified and generalized nutshell, Nature Lore = worth it, Pathfinder = not worth it?

quote:
Originally written by Imban:

I'm not sure, exactly, but even a small level of Pathfinder lets you walk over poison swamps without coming to harm, most of the time.
Would that allow only the character with Pathfinder to walk over poison swamps unharmed, or the whole party?

And Nature Lore, if a special checks for it, I'm guessing it takes into consideration your total levels of Nature Lore? Or does it check the highest level, or even both?

Other than for getting the Pathfinder skill, is there a particular reason to focus your Nature Lore on one character in particular, or are you better off spreading it around to take advantage of the cheaper SP cost of the lower levels?

--------------------
"Take time to listen to what is said without words, to obey the law too subtle to be written, to worship the unnameable and to embrace the unformed." -- Lao Tzu
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Muji:

Would that allow only the character with Pathfinder to walk over poison swamps unharmed, or the whole party?
The whole party.

quote:
And Nature Lore, if a special checks for it, I'm guessing it takes into consideration your total levels of Nature Lore? Or does it check the highest level, or even both?
It can do either depending on how the scenario designer scripts it. I believe that all current uses of it check the total level in the party.

quote:
Other than for getting the Pathfinder skill, is there a particular reason to focus your Nature Lore on one character in particular, or are you better off spreading it around to take advantage of the cheaper SP cost of the lower levels?
Apart from the aforementioned weapon in Druids of Krell that does damage based on the wielder's Nature Lore, no. You may as well spread it out.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #8
Excellent, so spread it will be.

And if one of my characters happens to have some extra skill points, I'll go for a bit of Pathfinder to spare myself the annoyance of poisoned marshes.

Thanks for your help, everyone. :)

--------------------