Movement with laptop keyboard ideas?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Movement with laptop keyboard ideas?
Apprentice
Member # 3813
Profile Homepage #0
Does anyone have any suggestions on movement with a laptop keyboard? I'm aware movement can be done with the mouse, by clicking on the 'square' you'd like to go, but moving with the keyboard is much better (nearly all things are better with the keyboard than mouse, IMHO) - except on laptop keyboards that don't have a numeric keypad.

I can use num lock on my iBook, but that still requires use of the fn key on my iBook (OS 10.4). Hence, to move with the keyboard means using num lock and the fn key together, then pressing the directional key. But this means laptop keyboard keys 7, 8, 9, U, I, O, J, K, and L can't be used; without turning of num lock.

I realize this is a small issue, but a snag nonetheless (especially for BOA players who come from the world of Angband and Rogue!).

Has anyone had any luck re-mapping their iBook keys for BOA? Am I overlooking an OS-level settings that are impacting how keys are mapped? What do other laptop users without dedicated numeric keypads use (yeah ... I have a full sized Apple keyboard at my desk but I buy laptops for their mobility!).

Thanks for any suggestions!

- Joel
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
You could always buy a portable numeric keypad, I suppose. Not an ideal solution, but it's better than dragging a whole second keyboard around with you.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #2
Can't you just use the arrow keys?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
Not if he wants to move diagonally.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #4
I use the arrows for walking, and I only walk diagonally (wjich I do with the mouse) when I'm in combaot or have some sort of a time limit.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Apprentice
Member # 3813
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Marvin, the paranoid android:

I use the arrows for walking, and I only walk diagonally (wjich I do with the mouse) when I'm in combaot or have some sort of a time limit.
Hah! That's an idea - I hadn't thought of that before. Outside of combat there are few reasons to move diagonally - most of them to avoid a certain square.

I think the problem is really the MacOS laptop keyboard - it doesn't seem to behave the same way a Windows/Linux keyboard behaves with numlock activated.

You're solution is a lot better than dancing around the keyboard using the numlock and fn keys all the time!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #6
I happen to use the normal arrow keys (not the number pad) in conjunction with the mouse, and it works great for me on my PC laptop.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty