Unhandled Exception

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Unhandled Exception
Warrior
Member # 4792
Profile #0
I have been creating a scenario for close to a year now, and the biggest problem by far has been an error never mentioned anywhere in the documentation that I can find. At several, seemingly random parts of my scenario, I get an Unhandled Exception error. The most recent one looks like this:

UNHANDLED EXCEPTION
Unhandled exception: c0000005
At address: 004399c0

This latest one has come up after I was tinkering with a part of my scenario where you have to fight and kill a group of troglodytes. Pretty straight-forward, right? Well, for some reason, when I kill their leader, and then end combat, this error pops up and the game crashes. Another time it did it when I had a special encounter where you are supposed to go to another town. Everything looked alright, but, I still get the error.

In the troglodyte fight, the only things I modified for the leader were his name, his level, his Act at a Distance modifier (set to 2), gave him two standard items, and his dialog memory cell.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
There are quite a few things that can cause this error. The most common are graphical problems (such as using windowed walls with a wallset that doesn't have any windowed walls), or passing illegal arguments to a function (such as trying to modify the status of a character that doesn't exist). Without actually seeing the scenario you've made and knowing the points at which the error occurs, I can't really be more specific.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
The particularly annoying thing about them is that they don't show up for Mac users (or at least not in the same way at all), and they sometimes occur more or less randomly, so sometimes they cannot be tracked down at all.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
I have had this problem as well, both with a scenario I am working on and some downloaded scenarios. What usually works is to just try again, and for some reason it won't repeat. It is very difficult to diagnose a non-repeatable error, so if yours is repeating, then I would start by looking at everything else you have running at the same time. Try eliminating things until you are left with either nothing, which means it is within BoA or your scenario, or you have found some other application which is conflicting with BoA. Either way, keep us posted.

*this message courtesy of the befuddlement society of zork*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #4
This is a graphics problem. It happens with any graphics problem. What causes this?

If I know, I might be able to suggest how to fix it. For example, I’ve figured out how to fix that bug in Xerche’De which happens every time the red mage dies.

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Apprentice
Member # 5992
Profile #5
I'm also getting this error and it's repeating, I can't finish neither Bahssikava nor A perfect forest because of it, it just happens when i try to enter a particular location.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
Where in Bahs are you getting this? And would you mind sending me a save file right before it happens?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5992
Profile #7
It happens on Mount Galthrax L2, in the south-eastern corner, when I want to go down.
I'll try sending you the save.
Warrior
Member # 4792
Profile #8
Haha! I discovered the cause of the problem! It was not a conflicting Windows program, a bad graphic, an illegal argument, a tweaked save file, or the like! When I created this creature type, I gave them all a percentage chance of having several items. For this specific character, aka Ralgog, I also gave him items in the editor. For some reason these items conflicted with the preset ones and it crashed! I solved it by getting rid of the items in the editor (they are unnecessary) and I would warn other scenario designers of this fatal error.

In general, however, I think we can differentiate between the unhandled exceptions by the address at which they occur. I am not a proficient programmer, but I'm guessing that is an reference to somewhere in the BoA source code. I have the same unhandled exception error at different addresses with different problems.

[ Tuesday, June 21, 2005 16:33: Message edited by: Venom ]