Mad Ambition...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Mad Ambition...
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #0
...is up. Download and enjoy!

EDIT: TM, in the encounter that takes place upon entering Ivalice with Malachai, the string in line 49 is too long. The resulting error prevents the party from being split up. I split the string up right before "Alas."

[ Thursday, June 09, 2005 08:20: Message edited by: PoD person ]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #1
...that doesn't even make sense since the original string is under 150 characters, but I'll take your word for it and send Mariann an upgraded script.

EDIT: Okay, I'm shortening that one string. If you have problems, replace t6Ivalice.txt with this:

begintownscript;

variables;
short bmessage,gone,pcs,speaker_pcs,twondx,others_ok;
string custom_m,custom_m2,custom_m3;

body;

beginstate INIT_STATE;

if(get_flag(99,4) == 1 && get_flag(26,0) < 23){
if(get_flag(99,3) == 0)
split_off_one_char(24,4,0,0);
if(get_flag(99,3) == 1)
split_off_one_char(43,24,0,0);
if(get_flag(99,3) == 2)
split_off_one_char(4,24,0,0);
if(get_flag(99,3) == 3)
split_off_one_char(24,43,0,0);
add_char_to_party(7);
if(get_flag(99,3) == 0){
march_party(24,5);
force_view_center(24,5);
set_character_facing(4,4);
}
if(get_flag(99,3) == 1){
march_party(42,24);
force_view_center(42,24);
set_character_facing(4,2);
}
if(get_flag(99,3) == 2){
march_party(5,24);
force_view_center(5,24);
set_character_facing(4,6);
}
if(get_flag(99,3) == 3){
march_party(24,42);
force_view_center(23,42);
set_character_facing(4,0);
}
force_instant_terrain_redraw();
block_entry(1);
}

if(get_flag(34,0) == 0){
reset_dialog();
add_dialog_str(0,"This city has clearly seen better days.",0);
add_dialog_str(1,"The plan for Ivalice likely was for it to have been a boom town, thriving on ore and lumber, but no more.",0);
add_dialog_str(2,"Bodies are strewn about the entrance, mostly but not entirely decomposed. Blood from the battle is still scattered about. It's a grisly scene.",0);
if(get_flag(99,0) == 1)
add_dialog_str(3,"The nephils need to be stopped, so that this sort of tragedy does not ever repeat itself.",0);
if(get_flag(99,0) == 2)
add_dialog_str(3,"This city will be avenged with the blood of cats!",0);
bmessage = run_dialog(1);
set_flag(34,0,1);
}

if(get_flag(26,0) == 15){
reset_dialog();
add_dialog_str(0,"Dervish Malachai, now well and truly exhausted from blood loss, is beginning to slow down.",0);
clear_buffer();
append_string("_");
append_char_name(0);
append_string("... The administrative building in the northwest corner of the city... It has a bed. Let's go there, then we can discuss things more leisurely._");
get_buffer_text(custom_m);
add_dialog_str(1,custom_m,0);
add_dialog_str(2,"_And really... Thanks._",0);
if(get_flag(99,0) == 1)
add_dialog_choice(0,"Don't mention it.");
if(get_flag(99,0) == 2)
add_dialog_choice(0,"You're my superior; think nothing of it.");

set_flag(26,0,16);
}

if(get_flag(26,0) == 23){
erase_char(6);
split_off_one_char(14,13,0,0);
relocate_character(0,14,13);
force_view_center(14,13);
pause(6);

reset_dialog();
add_dialog_str(0,"Malachai! Oh no, he's gone! Has he recovered? Furthermore, how much time has passed since you were asleep? Why didn't he wake you? He even went through the trouble of putting you back in bed...",0);
add_dialog_str(1,"Calm down... Maybe he's outside making breakfast or keeping guard. Maybe he's okay. Don't jump to conclusions.",0);
block_entry(1);
set_flag(26,0,24);
}

break;

beginstate EXIT_STATE;
break;

beginstate START_STATE;
break;

beginstate 10;

if(get_flag(26,0) == 16){
message_dialog("_This was supposed to be the Mayor's office, and also his house. Through that next threshold is a meeting hall. The mayor's bedroom is the first door to your right as you're walking in._","");
set_flag(26,0,17);
}

break;

beginstate 11;

if(get_flag(26,0) == 17){
gone = remove_char_from_party(601);
gone = remove_char_from_party(403);
message_dialog("As you enter the room, Malachai walks over to the bed and falls on it haphazardly, not even bothering to take off his armor. _Nghh... That feels good._ He lies prone, letting his caked blood fall out of his armor and onto the bed.","_Come... Have a seat. Now that we have a respite, let us discuss._");
set_flag(26,0,18);
activate_hidden_group(1);
relocate_character(6,14,13);
set_character_pose(6,14);
}

break;

beginstate 12;

if(get_flag(26,0) == 18){
message_dialog("You should probably speak with Dervish Malachai. You have no need to leave this place.","");
block_entry(1);
}

break;

beginstate 13;

if(get_flag(26,0) == 18){

relocate_character(0,14,14);
pause(5);

reset_dialog();
add_dialog_str(0,"Malachai takes his helmet off and rests his head on his pillow, turning his face towards you. He facial features droop into a less-uptight position, while his eyes stroll towards your face, absorbing its nuances.",0);
clear_buffer();
append_string("_You know, ");
append_char_name(0);
append_string(", you're a lot different from the other troops I have back at Fort Ivalice... I know nothing about you._");
add_dialog_str(1,custom_m,0);
add_dialog_str(2,"_I haven't told this to anyone yet, but every soldier who works under me was hand-picked in Kalzas at my behest. Everyone who Marched to Ivalice with me was competent, but moreover, they all have had traumatic pasts._",0);
add_dialog_str(3,"_Everyone there suffers... They suffer in a way that I wish I could take away. But I can't._",0);
if(get_flag(99,0) == 1)
add_dialog_choice(0,"What was your past like?");
if(get_flag(99,0) == 2)
add_dialog_choice(0,"Why do you do it?");

reset_dialog();
if(get_flag(99,0) == 1){
add_dialog_str(0,"_My past? I... was rich. Both parents were alive, both parents loved me very much, and I felt as if I was blessed by a deity._",0);
}
if(get_flag(99,0) == 2){
add_dialog_str(0,"_Why? I... was born rich. Both parents were alive, both parents loved me very much, and I felt as if I was blessed by a deity._",0);
}
add_dialog_str(1,"_Unfortunately, I became enchanted by money, and never understood my parents' love... And then they died. Old age._",0);
add_dialog_str(2,"_My father was a military man. Full honors, decoration almost as heavy as his armor, et cetera... He held firmly to tradition. And so I enlisted, and learned the value of camaraderie. Then, Stewart I decided to invade Valorim._",0);
add_dialog_str(3,"_People, friends... They all died. Nephils were slaughtered. I was told by Foottracer, 'Death is natural path towards progress...' But I would not accept that. I still don't._",0);
add_dialog_str(4,"_There is no room for pain and misery in this world... And yet I have caused so much. I am just trying to repent. Please try and understand._",0);
add_dialog_choice(0,"...");

reset_dialog();
clear_buffer();
append_string("_");
append_char_name(0);
append_string(", if you don't mind me asking, where did you grow up?_");
add_dialog_str(0,custom_m,0);
add_dialog_choice(0,"House Aaron.");

reset_dialog();
add_dialog_str(0,"He looks surprised. _House Aaron... The one from Northern Valorim, right?_",0);
add_dialog_str(1,"You tell him that he is, indeed, correct.",0);
add_dialog_str(2,"_That's impossible, though! The master of the house, Brigadier General Aaron, and his wife both died of a bizarre disease, as did all their relations. Their daughter died of the disease, and their younger child..._",0);
add_dialog_str(3,"_Their other child ran away and was assumed to have died._",0);
add_dialog_str(4,"_Why didn't you go back? You would have riches beyond your wildest imagining, and you would probably get a few promotions._",0);
if(get_flag(99,0) == 1)
add_dialog_choice(0,"I would have to remember.");
if(get_flag(99,0) == 2)
add_dialog_choice(0,"None of your business.");

reset_dialog();
add_dialog_str(0,"_I'm sorry... I'm so, so sorry. I do not understand the pain you suffered, and for that, I apologize._",0);
add_dialog_str(1,"An eternity passes.",0);
add_dialog_str(2,"_Your family... Tell me about them._",0);
add_dialog_choice(0,"They were nice...");

block_entry(1);
set_ticks_forward(1000);

move_to_new_town(5,12,14);
}

break;

beginstate 14;

if(get_flag(26,0) == 24){
message_dialog("He's not here either...! But where could he have gone? And why did he go?","Maybe he thought you would be okay, and he went back to Fort Ivalice. At any rate, that's probably the best place to start.");
set_flag(26,0,25);

if(get_flag(99,4) == 1){
set_flag(99,4,0);

reunite_party();
relocate_character(0,13,20);
pcs = 1;
while(pcs <= 3){
if(char_ok(pcs) == TRUE){
relocate_character(pcs,(pcs + 12),24);
set_character_facing(pcs,4);
}
pcs = (pcs + 1);
}
force_view_center(13,20);
pause(10);

reset_dialog();
if(party_size() == 2){
clear_buffer();
pcs = 1;
while(char_ok(pcs) == FALSE){
pcs = (pcs + 1);
}
append_char_name(pcs);
append_string("! But why is your partner here, waiting for you?");

clear_buffer();
append_string("_Hey, ");
append_char_name(0);
append_string(". Funny thing, meeting you like this... Thing is, I was sent from Ivalice to check on how the raid had went. We thought you'd have returned by then.");
get_buffer_text(custom_m2);
add_dialog_str(1,custom_m2,0);

add_dialog_str(2,"_I saw the Dervish climbing up the mountain, though. He looked, well... Less confident than I expected, considering that he was still alive. I thought he had lost, especially considering how injured he was._",0);
add_dialog_str(3,"_Still, he told me that the raid was a success, and the nephils had been dispatched... He said that I would find you here, but that I should let you rest. So that's what I did._",0);
add_dialog_str(4,"_Let's get back to Fort Ivalice now, okay?_",0);
}
if(party_size() > 2){

clear_buffer();
append_string("_");
pcs = 1;
while(pcs <= 3){
if(char_ok(pcs) == TRUE){
others_ok = (pcs + 1);
twondx = 0;
while(others_ok < 4 && twondx < 2){
if(char_ok(others_ok) == 1){
twondx = (twondx + 1);
}
others_ok = (others_ok + 1);
}
if(twondx == 1){
append_char_name(pcs);
append_string(", and ");
}
if(twondx > 1){
append_char_name(pcs);
append_string(", ");
}
if(twondx == 0){
append_char_name(pcs);
append_string("!");
}
}
pcs = (pcs + 1);
}
append_string(" But why are your partners here, waiting for you?");

clear_buffer();
while(speaker_pcs == 0){
pcs = random_party_member();
if(pcs > 0){
speaker_pcs = pcs;
}
}
append_char_name(speaker_pcs);
append_string(" begins to speak for the group.");
add_dialog_str(1,custom_m2,0);

clear_buffer();
append_string("_Hey, ");
append_char_name(0);
append_string(". Funny thing, meeting you like this... Thing is, we were sent from Ivalice to check on how the raid had went. We thought you'd have returned by then.");
add_dialog_str(2,custom_m2,0);

add_dialog_str(3,"_We saw the Dervish climbing up the mountain, though. He looked, well... Less confident than we expected, considering that he was still alive. We thought he had lost, especially considering how injured he was._",0);
add_dialog_str(4,"_Still, he told us that the raid was a success, and the nephils had been dispatched... He said that we would find you here, but that we should let you rest. So that's what we did._",0);
add_dialog_str(5,"_Let's get back to Fort Ivalice now, okay?_",0);
}
}
}

break;

beginstate 20;

set_flag(99,3,0);

break;

beginstate 21;

set_flag(99,3,1);

break;

beginstate 22;

set_flag(99,3,2);

break;

beginstate 23;

set_flag(99,3,3);

break;

[ Thursday, June 09, 2005 11:23: Message edited by: Dervish Malachai ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #2
You don't have to do that, just take the part that originally began with "Alas,...", and put it in a new add_dialog_str call.

It worked fine after I did this:

if(get_flag(34,0) == 0){
reset_dialog();
add_dialog_str(0,"This city has clearly seen better days.",0);
add_dialog_str(1,"The plan for Ivalice likely was for it to have been a boom town, thriving on ore and lumber.",0);
add_dialog_str(2,"Alas, it has since fallen on considerably worse times. The apartments that were already completed still stand, and the areas where more were planned are visible.",0);
add_dialog_str(3,"Bodies are strewn about the entrance, mostly but not entirely decomposed. Blood from the battle is still scattered about. It's a grisly scene.",0);
if(get_flag(99,0) == 1)
add_dialog_str(4,"The nephils need to be stopped, so that this sort of tragedy does not ever repeat itself.",0);
if(get_flag(99,0) == 2)
add_dialog_str(4,"This city will be avenged with the blood of cats!",0);
set_flag(34,0,1);
}
EDIT: By the way, how on Earth does one defeat the behemoth with the ax?

[ Thursday, June 09, 2005 11:42: Message edited by: PoD person ]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
Fiddle with the lever in the depressed area of the room. I used the Tool Time method. More Power!

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #4
Luthair? Well first, the stairs are a puzzle unto themselves- admittedly, not a big one. The four runes each control a set of stairs- watch the sparkles to know which ones. A deactivated stair will not blast you when you step on it. To make sure Luthair doesn't get a free whack on you (for absolute tons of damage, might I add!), make sure that you don't let Luthair get in a free attack- that means that if you step within one space of him, get to the lever whilst staying within one step of him. Only exit that range when triggering the lever. Otherwise, it's pretty much recommended to just use the NW or NE stairs.

If you have any way of making yourself invulnerable (Arcane Shield, Divine Aid, Potions/Elixirs), do so, and cause a power influx. Otherwise, cause a power redux. Luthair is difficult, but if you have been collecting potions and wands on this level, he's very manageable. It also helps if you do this at the beginning of your round whist hasted if you fight at range, since you'll be able to outrun his axe for a round or two.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #5
There's another error. You have one parameter too many in the add_dialog_choice call on line 635 in t9fortress. You have a 0 after, the string, and you shouldn't.

Errors aside, though, this was an awesome scenario. I should've played it at level 16 or 18, instead of 11, but I did know that it was a TM scenario. Fix the script errors, and this thing's got a shot at the contest (although Bahss is probably more Jeff's cup of tea, not to mention that you point out to the player exactly how you are limited by the engine - fine by me, but maybe not Jeff).

[ Thursday, June 09, 2005 14:32: Message edited by: PoD person ]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #6
I just replayed it all the way through, and I didn't witness any errors of this sort. In fact, the script seems just fine.

reset_dialog();
add_dialog_str(0,"_bleh_",0);
add_dialog_str(1,"_bleh_",0);
add_dialog_choice(0,"bleh!");

That's the code in question, with the line in question bolded (635). That's perfectly canon. Honestly, you may just have a corrupted version- I checked both versions at SW, and they look just fine.

EDIT: PoD, what are you doing with a beta version? >_<

[ Thursday, June 09, 2005 15:37: Message edited by: Dervish Malachai ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #7
Actually, it was the one below the bolded line, and there was a zero, which you don't have in your post. So, yeah, I guess I did get a beta version. I was pretty eager for this one, and nabbed it as soon as it got on the tables. Haste makes waste, I suppose.

Oh yeah, I especially liked what the "mad ambition" turned out to be. Nice. I won't spoil it.

[ Thursday, June 09, 2005 18:25: Message edited by: PoD person ]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
But the beta version never got on the tables...

That's bizarre. I'll become panicked if more people have this problem.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #9
I've been trying for some time, but I can't download the scenario. Is there an alternative download location? I could host it in the BoAC too.

Anyone is having the same download difficulties?

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9