Beta Call for The Darkness

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Beta Call for The Darkness
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #25
still working on it expect my report on tuesday
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #26
Kelandon:

I'm curious about one thing. Since you have already some experience about beta testing scenarios, do you give some guidelines to your beta testers (to get a detailed and objective report), or just ask them to play the scenario and report any bugs they find, plus their opinion?

Anyone who has beta tested scenario, can also reply. :)

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #27
Several of my beta testers are more experienced testers than I am a designer, so I don't bother giving people like Thuryl or Imban instructions. I give first-timers some instructions.

"[T]he idea is that you should play this scenario all the way through, looking for bugs, problems, logical errors, or anything else to comment on before release to the general public (including, perhaps, anything that you particularly like about the scenario, which is also quite useful). Try to explore around, checking on all the details."

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #28
As a separate, later thought (hence the double-post):

If any of you know how to get in touch with Kobold, I would like to. He made the Putidus graphic, and unless one of you feels like going into the graphic and erasing the fuzz by hand (beyond what I did, which was enough to make the graphic function in the game), I can only fix that graphic if he sends me a replacement.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Several of my beta testers are more experienced testers than I am a designer, so I don't bother giving people like Thuryl or Imban instructions. I give first-timers some instructions.

"[T]he idea is that you should play this scenario all the way through, looking for bugs, problems, logical errors, or anything else to comment on before release to the general public (including, perhaps, anything that you particularly like about the scenario, which is also quite useful). Try to explore around, checking on all the details."

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
I thought the pale aura-effect around Putidus looked kinda neat, actually.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #31
Well, so did I, which is why I ended up using the graphic, but it would be nice to have a functioning graphic too, so that at least I can compare and see which one I like better.

--------------------

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #32
quote:

I HIGHLY recommend asking questions of your testers, all of them. Lots of questions, about all aspects of the scenario.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #33
If you have questions to ask me, Kelandon, don't hesitate to e-mail me back with them.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #34
My report is sent.

Yeah, like Imban said, e-mail me with questions.
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #35
my report is sent to nothing realy seems wrong i am going to play again
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #36
I have four or five more things to track down (in the major cut scenes) and then I'll have essentially a release-ready version.

Ash: Normally, I would, too (I did for Bahs), but not for this scenario.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 5339
Profile #37
expect my report tomorrowor on wednesday at latest. Because i have some problems with woman i have to take care of.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #38
I sent another report with a few things I forgot to include in the previous one.

Once the final sequence gets all of the kinks ironed out, this is going to be an excellent scenario, better than Bahssikava, IMO.

[ Monday, March 28, 2005 07:22: Message edited by: PoD person ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #39
Okay, I'm pretty much done with the next version. I'll release it as soon as I hear back from my last couple of testers.

I just wanted to let everyone know about one thing:

From Thuryl: "Battle Medicine still loses a charge if the player cancels the character selection, or if attempting to use it fails for any reason."

This was the reply that I gave him:

Yeah, I went back and checked up on this. This is inherent in items that take charges. I originally had this set as an ability, but it simply didn't work. The problem is that char_take_item is broken -- as far as I can tell, it never does anything. Other item taking calls, like take_all_of_item and take_item aren't able to take from a specific character.

I tried to pull some black magic with destroy_char_item (which takes all of the items of that type from the character) and then giving them back, but there's no way to give a stackable item to a specific character. The call reward_give (which does stack) doesn't allow for giving to a specific person, and the call char_give_item doesn't ever stack -- so if the character had fifteen Battle Medicine Kits in one item slot, that would turn into fourteen Battle Medicine Kits in fourteen slots after the ability was used. This would look very weird.

As far as I know, there is no workaround for char_take_item with stackable items, so I don't think I can actually fix this until Jeff fixes BoA. I did try, though.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #40
I suppose if all else fails you can just reward_give a kit to the first available character. It's non-optimal, but probably better than losing the item completely.

Hmm. Actually, if char_give_item works but doesn't stack, then if you make the item use a charge, you only have to give one item to him, creating only one extra stack. This still looks weird, but it'd work fine and wouldn't be disastrously so unless the player misused the battle medicine kits an awful lot.

[ Monday, March 28, 2005 13:16: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #41
I could do that. Opinions?

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #42
Battle kits require you to have 5 points of first aid. I couldn't use it when I first started out. I ignored them for the most part. Is there a way to assign them to the character with the highest first aid when you start. This may be why I had a tough time with healing for my 1st level party.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #43
Um, they're items. To assign them to the character with highest first aid, just give them to him. :P

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5339
Profile #44
my report is sent.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #45
All right, I'm just about done. Unless anyone particularly cares, I'm going to do what Thuryl suggested and use char_give_item to give back another Battle Medicine Kit if using one fails.

I'm giving it to one last beta tester for a final run-through, and then I'll release it probably later today or possibly tomorrow.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #46
quote:

All right, I'm just about done. Unless anyone particularly cares, I'm going to do what Thuryl suggested and use char_give_item to give back another Battle Medicine Kit if using one fails.

I'm giving it to one last beta tester for a final run-through, and then I'll release it probably later today or possibly tomorrow.

if you mean me on the one final run-through don't worry about it i found nothing but what was in my first (pathetically small) report release it to the world and set it free from the pit of unfinished scenarios

[ Tuesday, March 29, 2005 12:55: Message edited by: hawk king ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #47
No, I don't mean you. I mean Wizcozski, who's going to run through the release version right before I release it to make sure that I didn't make a typo in a script somewhere. :P

EDIT: Well, and actually beta test, but I think I'm in good shape as far as beta comments go.

[ Tuesday, March 29, 2005 07:59: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Pages