singletons

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: singletons
Apprentice
Member # 5595
Profile #0
Up to now, I've been using a singleton. I don;t understand what seems to be the problem with singletons. The only minor problem I had was that Nolagh-Khar could kill me in one hit??
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #1
Singletons (I say this and think of John Singleton every time) is a fine way to play the game. Usually people begin with 4 characters.

One of the advantages of 4 characters is that you can carry more stuff.

Also, you can see how different combinations of skills work out. With only one player you are more limited unless you play it again and again trying different combos.

Also, it's a bit of an old tradition in many CRPGs to have a multi-character system.

There are other reasons as well.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Apprentice
Member # 5595
Profile #2
Not really, with my singleton he has great bow skill, around 200 damage per shot, around 6 ap, 100 damage in melee, and 150 damage when using arcane blow, also can cast divine host. The only problem is arcane lore
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
I can't tell if this is a question or a topic for discussion. If the former, then yes, you probably don't want to get anywhere near N-K when you're fighting him. If the latter, then discussions of singletons and other party setups have been done to death.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5048
Profile #4
Nolagh-Khar had some sort of unstoppable death ray with infinite range when I fought him. Invincibility didn't protect against it, so I had to use my entire Heroic Brew supply to down him in one turn.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Wow, I didn't even realize that was possible. You're supposed to reduce his power elsewhere in demon-infested Bahssikava, but I guess if you could manage it that way, more power to you.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #6
Yeah fer real I always wondered if he could be defeated without reducing power. I almost tried it but then didnt. I was going to play through again though for just that reason.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Apprentice
Member # 5048
Profile #7
Ph33r the Adlerauge!1 :P
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #8
Four party members spreads out the experience. I think there is a maximum level of 100 for monsters. Not sure about this. Thus I think with the monster level limits your party may only be able to reach lvl 150 with four characters.

[ Friday, March 18, 2005 17:32: Message edited by: Lord Baron Von Toast ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #9
How does a max monster level effect max party levels. Your 4 party party would gain less experience at higher levels but it wouldn't decrease to zero right. I imagine a party could continue to gain levels indefinitely.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

How does a max monster level effect max party levels. Your 4 party party would gain less experience at higher levels but it wouldn't decrease to zero right. I imagine a party could continue to gain levels indefinitely.
If a monster you kill is more than a certain number of levels below your own level, you get no experience at all. Technically, it'd still be possible to gain experience from special encounters, but XP from combat would eventually dry up completely.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #11
^ Oh I see. You would think your party would still gain at least 1 XP for killing any level of monster. Of course that would mean very slow leveling.

--------------------