Registering/buying BoA/BoE

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Registering/buying BoA/BoE
Apprentice
Member # 5557
Profile #0
Me again :rolleyes:
I would like to buy both BoA and BoE, but I'm not sure about what I would get :
* For BoA it looks like I will only be sent some activation code via email and no physical delivery is necessary - am I right ?
* However if I've understood correctly BoE is only sold on CD : that's pretty bad, because I will have to pay an half-the-world trip (from W Coast to Europe) and wait 3 weeks to get maybe 10 Mb that would take me less than 2 minutes to download :eek: ... Is there no way to get only a digital copy ?

--------------------
PDF
Warrior
Member # 5520
Profile #1
Dear my gallant comrade PDF

When I registered the BoE. The Spidweb sent an e-mail containing the address where I could download the full version while waiting for the CD, and password to access that file of course.i.e. you would not have to wait all that long. The CD that arrived later conained most of the demos (including all avernum exile, genoforge. . ) and was in fact very useful. So if you have a tolerably good connection I suggest you do it right away. Happy Adventuring.

[ Monday, February 28, 2005 07:14: Message edited by: whitenightever ]
Apprentice
Member # 5557
Profile #2
Thanks Most Honorable Whitenightever :P
That's pretty good news, I'll register as soon as I'll be back home (unfortunately I don't have my BoA reg number right now ...)
:rolleyes:

--------------------
PDF
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #3
Well, If you register BoE, you get the game on CD, along with the physical manual(that is a manual you can sit on the toilet and read for what that's worth).

And yes, when you register BoA you get a code sent to you via email within hours(for me it was a few hours anyway but I live in WA state probably about an hour's drive from Spiderweb. Not taking into account the lameness that is driving and parking in Seattle) and snail mail.

As for which is "better", that is purely subjective. BoE has a lot more scenarios right now but this will probably change within a few years. BoA generally has better game mechanics overall but BoE has better spells(and allows for two-weapon combat), IMO. Then there's the 6 PC party vs 4 PC party limit thing.

Basically, play the demos. If you like BoE VotDT better than BoA VotDT then get BoE and vice versa.

Or get BOTH and you get a discount on BoA(cost $15 if you own BoE).

--------------------
"I am in a very peculiar business. I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James Randi
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #4
Having only BoA, I wonder why BoE must be ordered with a CD. I guess it only adds to spidweb's and the client's cost. Or has it any goodies (printed manual, maps, and such)?

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Warrior
Member # 5520
Profile #5
Dear my berespected adept forumer Overwhelming

I do not recall receiving any serious memorabilla of that sort except a booklet of few hints which I, quite honestly, lost or maybe binned it away. I think I knew most of the contents from the help files by that time anyway. Anyone who would correct me please do so.

My pure guess for the existence of the CD is that the creator Jeff Vogel Esq. personally wanted to make some hard copy version, . . . something that can be kept and boxed or even inherited . . . perhaps as a personal memorial for the success of Exile series that was to be forgotten while he was determined to move into another stage of game development. One clue for me was the Easter Egg Jeff in Exile III said: "I would rather be in the glossy boxed games like Diablo - the notorious memory waster - rather than this cheap shareware thinggy" or something like that. I killed him.

Anyway, that CD did not have a box nor was a full sized one. . . but still had a semi-transparent plastic case and the title page of BoE printed on the face of the CD with all the demos to allure my purse. Quite a memorabilla for me. I think I will inherit it to my children.

Edit: That CD was a full sized one. I regret and feel sorry for my rashness.

[ Tuesday, March 01, 2005 17:57: Message edited by: whitenightever ]
Apprentice
Member # 5557
Profile #6
Hum, I think the CD distribution for BoE is just tied to the game age - in '97 digital distro wasn't a real option, and SpiderWeb is a small company that should not have much resource to spend on ultra modern delivery !

As for the BoE vs BoA debate, choice seems to be between "more" (BoE) and "better" (BoA).
I can't understand why the party size went down from 6 to 4 in BoA ? It gives much less party composition choice and limit tactics, what good does it have ? :confused:

--------------------
PDF
Warrior
Member # 5520
Profile #7
Shorter 'tail' when you move around in the towns and dungeons for one thing??
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by PDF:

As for the BoE vs BoA debate, choice seems to be between "more" (BoE) and "better" (BoA).
I can't understand why the party size went down from 6 to 4 in BoA ? It gives much less party composition choice and limit tactics, what good does it have ? :confused:

I've played, long ago, the BoE demo. I must confess that BoA was the only one that convinced me about registering. Not only because it looks much better, but because it offers better tools fro scenario designers (specially AvernumScript). The only reason there aren't as many scenarios for BoA as for BoE is because BoE is older and BoA's scenarios are more difficult to make (but more rewarding) so it takes more time. But give it time and you'll see more and more scenarios appear.

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Apprentice
Member # 5557
Profile #9
I've just registered BoA and bought BoE also, did get a BoE download, everything is fine, I'm happy :cool:

--------------------
PDF
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #10
The sheer amount and quality of BoE scenarios should be enough to make anyone register.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5557
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

The sheer amount and quality of BoE scenarios should be enough to make anyone register.
That's what I've thought also and why I did get it - even if it looks so outdated :rolleyes:

--------------------
PDF