How does one go about making a scenario (question has nothing to do with scripting)?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: How does one go about making a scenario (question has nothing to do with scripting)?
Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #0
I'm trying to make a scenario, and since i don't have that much time to learn and practice scripting (not enough time in front of a computer), i've decided to first make the plot, maps, dialogue etc... So my question is how should i go about doing it? A) do the plot, then maps, then dialogue or B) Have a general plot in mind but do everything as it happens in the scenario (maps dialogue etc...) or maybe there is some better way. I would apreciate any help. Thank you.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #1
Know what you want the party to do. Usually, I make "maps" as a reference point, filling in details as the party encounters them. For instance, I think of the plot, then I make the individual towns as the party encounters them, filling in details as I go along. But honestly- read the section on scripting. You'll need to.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #2
I realize i'll have to do scritpting eventually, i just don't have the time to do it right now, so i'm making th plot etc... first
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
My advice to you is to do everything -- and I mean everything -- on paper before you touch the editor. By the time you start designing a town, you should have a labelled map of the town, a list of the plot points that occur in that town, which NPCs talk to you about what, diagrams of the logic of any special states you need to use, and any other relevant facts you can think of. It'll save you time in the long run; nothing's more frustrating than staring at the scenario editor with no idea where to start.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #4
ok thx. Thats basicly what i was planning to do. But what do u mean by the logic of special states.

[ Sunday, February 06, 2005 17:33: Message edited by: aliklik ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Basically, I mean representing what you want the state to do in visual form instead of script form, so that you can see the whole thing at once. I find that a branched-tree diagram, with each fork representing a conditional and each branch representing a function or series of functions, is the best way to set out my ideas. I label the diagram with plain English instead of scripting - a fork might be "SDF 2,7 = 1?" with a "Yes" and "No" branch coming from it, and a branch might be labelled "Heal the party's HP" or whatever it is that that particular part of the state is meant to do. I find diagrams like this essential for complex conditionals, because otherwise it's all too easy to miss something. They were even more important to me in BoE when I could only see one node at a time in detail in the editor itself.

[ Sunday, February 06, 2005 17:48: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #6
ok that makes sense, a similair thing could be used for dialogue to i guess (the tree branch thing)