Boss Battle Poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Boss Battle Poll
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #0
A series of questions asking you how you like your big, evil, deadly monsters.

Poll Information
This poll contains 10 question(s). 48 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=DptJLxnMVmyF"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=DptJLxnMVmyF"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
But here's the thing: any of these work, depending on how they're used. No one thing is better than any other; it's just a matter of implementation.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #2
Well, I voted for XXXX [edited] as my favourite boss, but you really need a variety... if the scenario was all liches, or all doomguards, it would be very boring, obviously.

A variety of bosses/other enemies needs a variety of tactics, which means you develop a solid multiskilled party. It also takes longer, and I'm sure most people want scenarios you don't finish the same day you started them.

[edited] Regarding difficulty - preferably not all the quests involve killing the boss, nor even getting his key item of treasure (which usually amounts to the same thing!). There exist other options, such as forcing them to run away, or to sue for peace, or winning their respect so they become your ally. Or you could devise some way to incapacitate the boss (imprisonment? paralysis?) with the advantage of a possible sequel. So I'd say there is a place for the occasional invincible boss (as well as the normal ones whom you kill, to get beaucoup exp + spell + great item of treasure + finish quest).

[ Tuesday, February 15, 2005 13:35: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #3
Exactly why are you posting this in a reply instead of just voting?

Please don't post poll results or advertise what you voted, it CAN effect how other people vote ;)
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Solodric:

Exactly why are you posting this in a reply instead of just voting?
You don't know if he/she didn't vote or not. It is impossible to gain all the information you need on issues like this through simple one answer poll questions. I would encourage discussion rather than just polling.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #5
Well, I would think he/she DID vote considering that it's in the post? :P

Either way, while I understand that discussing it is fine, telling everyone what you voted gets on my nerves a little bit. It really isn't that important - it's when people share the overall poll result that really gets on my nerves.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
Why is an informed opinion less valid than an uninformed one? You might as well allow people to discuss so that they know what the issues are, and people have to make points in order to discuss, so their views (and therefore their votes) will become pretty obvious.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #7
Like I said, not really a problem so long as it's his own post and not the actual result.

I just put it in here pre-umptly before some jerk decides to post poll results and leavem there ;)

Lady Davida told me she never edits her posts, so shes leaving the results she posted in my other poll up. To prevent such further things, I have simply stated: DO NOT POST POLL RESULTS! So that they can read that and hence not say "I posted first, you said that after and I refuse to edit" :P
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
Lady Davida is male. Please don't ask why.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Solodric:

Like I said, not really a problem so long as it's his own post and not the actual result.

Well, I only gave my opinion, not the whole poll results. I certainly wasn't trying to influence anyone. However, I guess it didn't add anything to the points I was trying to make, which were observations related to the thread topic - which I hope will be noted by any scenario authors who read this thread.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4