Concerning Custom Graphics and Macs...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Concerning Custom Graphics and Macs...
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #30
I think the reason is more because Jeff actually knows what he is doing with Resource forks. Changing will involve modifying the engine and a lot of work for Jeff.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #31
Of course it would require a source code change.

But so will a lot of things, this is something that's worth the change. Besides, I find multiple graphics easier for image sorting purposes. and as long as Macs have their RegEdit, you should get along fine enough.

What I don't understand is, how will custom graphics be incorporated into scenerios, if it's the application that you add the images to?

Would the images be included with the scenerio? Because that will brobably be the case with the PC version.

--------------------
Leave me alone.
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #32
That's what happens with BoE, so it's almost certainly what will happen in BoA. There's a .exs file, which is the scenario file, and then a .meg (which is a file with the resource fork for macs) and a .bmp for pcs. I'm guessing that there'll be a folder instead of a bmp for pcs with BoA, considering that multiple graphics will be needed.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #33
No, no, that's not what I'm talking about.

I mean, how will custom graphics be incorporated into scenerios, if the GAME ITSELF holds the graphics?

--------------------
Leave me alone.
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #34
No, no, that's not what I'm talking about.

I mean, how will custom graphics be incorporated into scenerios, if the GAME ITSELF holds the graphics?

--------------------
Leave me alone.
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #35
The game itself holds the standard graphics, but custom graphics come with the scenario in a separate file. In BoE it was a meg or a bmp, but I'd assume in BoA it would be a meg (or something very similar) and a folder of bmps for PC users.
These would then be put into the scenarios folder along with the scenario file if BoE is anything to go by.

[ Sunday, January 19, 2003 02:36: Message edited by: Jigga ]

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #36
That sounds the most logical... for Windows just another folder named "scenarioes". And all you have to do is put the correct files into it. I don't know how Mac works these days, so I'm not gunna say anything...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #37
Oh! I get it; the Mac can call graphics outside the actual application.

That would make scenerio creation super-easy.

--------------------
Leave me alone.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #38
Not sure I understand but I'll try to answer anyway...

Yes that's what Windows does anyway. Graphics are in a folder called Data, which means the graphics are no with the actual executable. So what I'm saying is, for greater ease, Jeff should make another folder called 'Scenarioes'. You would place the scenario file in that along with the graphics. OR put another folder inside Scenarioes and call it 'Graphics'. All too simple, I can't wait to see how Jeff is setting it up.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #40
Well, that's what Jeff did with BoE (a separate folder for scenarios). There's no reason he wouldn't do it for BoA as well.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #41
Perhaps the custom graphics can be stored in the scenerios folder, and the main graphics in Data.

PC's don't require all the data to be in the same place. But some programmers do it for simplicity.

--------------------
Leave me alone.
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #42
Again that's practically what happens with BoE. Custom graphics go in the scenario folder, but the main graphics are in the app, but I'd assume that will change considering Jeff's used data folders for all the avernums.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

Lifecrafter
Member # 585
Profile Homepage #43
Macs(At least OS X) don't require Data to be in the same place either, I swear, you can't boast about stuff you don't know, Jeff does it because it's what he's used to, it's not OS limitations.

The best way to get around the 'No ResEdit' problem is to put the graphics in gifs, individual or not, that way it can be universal.

--------------------
Polaris Board

Pages