Special Skills

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Special Skills
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #0
I haven't registered yet, so the only special skill I've found is Sharpshooter. If someone could put up a comprehensive list of the special skills, their effects, and what skills I need to learn them, I'd appreciate it.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Been done.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Someone really needs to put the special skill descriptions and the skill levels needed to train them in a FAQ or something. They're useful enough that I keep them in a text file in my BoA folder.

[ Tuesday, January 25, 2005 16:22: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
For the sake of completeness, here's a description for a FAQ:

------------

SPECIAL SKILLS

In BoA, when your basic skills reach high enough levels, your characters can train in new, special skills. These skills have effects as follows:

Parry: Grants the character a chance to reduce the damage from a melee or missile attack. The more of this skill the character has, the more damage is deflected.
Blademaster: A Blademaster will get bonuses when using any sort of hand-to-hand weapon. The more of this powerful skill you have, the more likely you are to hit and the more damage you will do.
Anatomy: Intimate knowledge of anatomy will help you with First Aid and aid you when fighting humanoids. Your blows will do more damage against humans and similar species. [The races affected are: human, humanoid, nephil, slith, and giant.]
Gymnastics: Nimbleness in combat is a great advantage. This skill makes you a leaping, spinning, fighting machine. Gymnastics skill makes you harder to hit and helps you act faster in combat.
Quick Strike: Affects how quickly you react in combat. The more of this skill you have, the faster you act. This skill also gives you a small chance to get bonus action points.
Pathfinder: Pathfinder skill helps you find your way through hostile terrain. Your chance of being poisoned or diseased by swamps and the like is reduced. The more of this skill you have, the better the effect.
Magery: Knowledge of Magery gives you intimate familiarity with the secret ways of magic. Any spell you cast will be more effective. The more you have, the better the bonus. [This also increases Willpower, which gives a %5 Mental resistance for each level.]
Resistance: You have learned how to evade magical attacks. The more of this skill you have, the higher the chance of hostile magic (like fire and cold) doing less damage to you. [This increases each of the resistance additional skills: Magic Resistance, Poison Resistance, Willpower, and Resist Elements.]
Magical Efficiency: Your ability to focus your mind enables you to channel magic more effectively. Whenever you cast a spell, there is a chance that you won’t spent all the mana you normally would.
Lethal Blow: When attacking a foe much weaker than you with a melee weapon, this skill gives you a small chance of killing it outright. [A "lethal blow" actually just does a really large amount of damage, which may or may not really be deadly.]
Riposte: This skill enables you to occasionally turn an attack back on a foe that is swinging at you. The higher the skill, the better the chance of success.
Sharpshooter: This skill makes you much more effective with missile weapons. They will have a better chance to hit and do more damage. [This affects missile weapons and thrown weapons.]
Dread Curse: Someone got very angry with you, angry enough to give you a powerful curse. You will be a little bit worse at everything you do until you find someone who can remove the curse. Unfortunately, an ordinary healer won’t be sufficient. [Every skill is in effect reduced by the level of this skill.]

The skills required to train in them are these:

Parry: Dex 8, Defense 6
Blademaster: Melee 6, Pole 6, Strength 8
Anatomy: Intelligence 6, Melee or Pole 8
Gymnastics: Strength 8, Dex 10
Quick Strike: Dexterity 8, Melee or Pole Weapons 6
Pathfinder: Int 8, Nature Lore 6 (note that base Nature Lore depends on Intelligence)
Magery: Int 10, Mage or Priest Spells 6
Resistance: Dex 10, Endurance 11, Hardiness 8
Magical Efficiency: Magery 8, End 11
Lethal Blow: Anatomy 8, Blademaster 8
Riposte: Parry 8, Blademaster 6
Sharpshooter: Dex 6, Bows or Thrown Weapons 8
Dread Curse: gained through events in the scenario

NOTE: You need bought values at these levels, not base values. BoA keeps track of three values of skills: bought, base, and total. Bought values are how many times you've trained a skill. Base values are values influenced by race, items, and other skills. Total is the sum of the two, which is what's displayed on your stats sheet.

For example, base Nature Lore rises by one point for every two points that Intelligence rises, and if an item were to have the special ability "+2 Nature Lore," that would raise the character's base value of Nature Lore while equipped. Also, nephils get bonuses to base Dexterity, for example.

Also, your characters have minimum bought values of 2 Strength, 2 Dexterity, 2 Intelligence, and 3 Endurance.

This means that you have a minimum base value of 1 Nature Lore, which means that you have to raise your total Nature Lore to at least 7 to get Pathfinder (higher if your Intelligence is above 3).

--------

EDIT: Fixed the descriptions.

[ Tuesday, January 25, 2005 19:22: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Apprentice
Member # 3811
Profile #4
Bump
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Why?

--------------------