Vale Infestation

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Vale Infestation
Apprentice
Member # 5044
Profile #0
The Vale Infestation in VotDT is a perfect example of unrealistic AI. When you first enter the level, you kill of a three archers and two warriors just sit there and watch. They don't even move when you fire arrows at them. The mage and other two warriors that are 1 door away from this action don't hear it and don't come out to join in the fight. The bandits in the rest of the hideout just stay where they are. This must be a very quiet battle. If it were realistic, all the bandits would rush to join the battle, which would be big, messy and fun. Then you could explore a dungeon empty of inhabitants.

Now I've said my piece, I'll go away.
Apprentice
Member # 5092
Profile #1
"Then you could explore a dungeon empty of inhabitants"

Ooo... Walls... Fun.

Don't get me wrong, you make a good case, I mean, when I am covering my arse in a dungeon, one of my favorite tactics is the brilliant...DOOR CLOSE! Bwuhahahaha!

But... Good AI is shown throughout the game also. I love it (No matter how annoying it is) when a worker zombie peacefully passes by my WARRIOR OF DEATH (!) character, only to double back after my frail priestess... Animals...
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
This is why the script "groupnpc" was made.

Why Jeff doesn't use this, I'll never know.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
I have played with the idea of trying to bring back the AI from A3 in which the creature would open a door that was blocking its way to an enemy (ie the party). I'm not sure how best to do it, though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #4
They usually do that on their own.

This was only a *real* problem in GF2.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5044
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by BlueMonk13x:

"Then you could explore a dungeon empty of inhabitants"

Ooo... Walls... Fun.

I know what you mean, an empty dungeon is a boring dungeon, but I prefer a big fat messy gory fight to killing the enemy in drips and drabs. I hate it when I've just killed some baddies and ended combat, and then there's one more, so you go into combat again, kill it, leave combat, and then there's another. Arg!

The other thing with drips and drabs combat is that I end up not using my priest and mage as the first person to go in combat mode is my fighter. Then I feel really sorry for my priest and mage cos they must get very bored (and perhaps even jealous of my fighter - I don't want jealousy in the ranks).

Where's groupnpc? I looked on the codex, but it wasn't there.

EDIT: I'm a ninny. Groupnpc is already in the game!

[ Tuesday, November 09, 2004 11:34: Message edited by: demipomme ]