Lost Souls

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Lost Souls
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #0
Sweet! We have ourselves a board!

Who's played Lost Souls? Who liked it? Who didn't like it? Should I register this game? What's your favorite level?

Discuss!

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #1
I've played it, but I don't have the full version. I enjoyed what I did play though.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #2
Never tried, sorry. *snif* :( *snif*

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #3
Same here, since the game is only for Macs.

--------------------
Austrian Alex
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
It looks fun, but without a level editor, more complicated rules, or any way to play against other humans, it's not worth the money.

—Alorael, who got through the three demo levels in short order (several times) and then forgot about Lost Souls. It's the best of the RW games, for what it's worth...
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 17
Profile #5
I've registered Lost Souls (I was in fact one of the beta testers), and I have to say that the game was well worth the money. I'd rank it as one of my favourite games of all times. I've spent hours and hours trying to get those last few levels on difficult (btw, has anyone managed to win every level on difficult? I've managed to get them all but level 30, which was nigh on impossable on medium.). The only draw backs are the lack of a map editor, and multiplayer (though I'm not sure, but I'm inclined to beleive that multiplayer wouldn't work so well under the rules of the pieces, as on certain maps both sides couuld produce so many units as to block each other off).
I believe Richard White did start on a new game after Galactic Core which, if I remember correctly, was not really a sequal to Lost Souls, but kind of was. However he scrapped that in favour of other ideas, which were lost to other ideas, then his website dropped off the earth, along with his email address. Does anyone know how to contact him now? (I've asked spiderweb, but they couldn't help me)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
Hrm, I think I'll buy this game once I start making the big bucks from my new job.

I take it no one has any idea how to contact Richard White?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #7
Spiderweb couldn't help you? Odd... I asked for and received help with Lost Souls once. I e-mailed Jeff, who gave me White's e-mail address, then e-mailed White himself and got what I was looking for. I can't find the e-mail in my account, but I'll try again...

I say it's worth it. I bought it and played the whole way through, and it certainly gets better as you go along. Haven't tried it on difficult yet, but I now intend to. I'll try to help you when i get there, Karamea...

EDIT: Ah! Found it. whiterm@es.co.nz New Zealand? Didn't notice that before... anyway, there you go, hope it helps. I got a response before, but that was almost two years ago. Asking for help with level 30, ironically...

EDIT2: Wow, this is pitiful, I can't even beat level 6 on Difficult. It's the one where Red and Yellow start out with a lot of guys on bridges, and you start out in the center with three guys, a bit of land, and a tower. I try playing the two off each other, but one of them always ends up winning with flying colors. Help, anyone?

EDIT3: Scratch that. Tried the same thing a different way and it worked. I'm on level 10 now... same thing but harder...

EDIT4: Gah! Level 9, actually, and I'm pretty sure it's impossible. Honestly, I've tried every combination of moves and pieces I can think of. Someone help...

[ Monday, August 02, 2004 21:16: Message edited by: Lady Davida ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #8
I also liked Lost Souls. The actual 'lost souls' bit is not terribly relevant to the game, but then I suppose any conceivable rationalization for Pacman would also be bizarre and irrelevant.

I never registered the game, but I am pretty sure I got to play quite a few more than three levels.

It's good that there are different difficulty settings. It's a nice puzzle/strategy game whose graphics and sound are simple but decent and atmospheric.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #9
I own a PC, snif.

Am I missing some great games?

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
Oh, I'd say that "great" hardly describes them at all.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 17
Profile #11
Lady Davida, here's a hint for level 9 on difficult:
save up on the first turn (you can't afford anything anyway) then on the second turn, build a knight in the far right corner of your land, then on the next turn build a bridge beside you, and head of to your right, and snipe and green and red's lines.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #12
Sad as it is, I'm still having problems... I've tried that, but by the time I get enough men to do any serious damage, green has obliterated red. A knight isn't really the best for sniping tightly packed greens, either. Any suggestions for helping red? I believe they go second and start with weaker units, both of which are problems.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Apprentice
Member # 17
Profile #13
Knights are the best for sniping, because the can move fast, and attack stray units.... go for green... also, i build a soldier every now and then in the middle to either destroy green knights, or to retake the tower, but only when I see that the computer won't got for my soldier straight away.... sometimes because of my help red gets too powerful for me.... the real tricky bit is gettin the timing right for attacking the centre section again... wait till red and green are both almost wiped each other out, and are even... then send your two knights in (you ought to be able to afford a second by that stage) and then sweep up the middle, taking the tower quickly.